Honesty

Image Source: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Affliction-109178092

Nate knew that he would return to the park in favor of the girl. Unlike their first adventure to it, they were not encircled in the falling cherry blossoms that the early spring gifted to the land. The antithesis season befell them instead, and in that, the fiery hues of cadmium, crimson, and champagne.  For it being late October, it was an idiosyncratically warm week. In more regular appearances, the young genius was still in his trademarked pajamas. The girl's reliably unpredictable wardrobe allowed her to adorn a simple black dress and grey sweater; the rosary was also hanging from her neck. She hadn't taken it off since obtaining it, and it marked nearly twelve months to the day since then.

"I think I got you to like the farmer's market. I'm proud." She grinned, holding his wrist.

"This is a festival, actually, dedicated to the Fuji hybrids."

"Well, there aren't any rides, games, or music. Only apple farmers and cider vendors. How about the farmer's apple market?"

He didn't agree, but he allowed it. They had their haul of three bushels of Fuji apples and a few jars of hard apple cider. The same breed was available for purchase back in the spring, but only because it had an incredible shelf life when refrigerated well.  The massive load of fruit was pulled in a wagon with the girl's uncanny strength. The two had only three blocks left until they would be back at their home, so Nate offered to pull for her. She gave him the handle and stepped aside. The young man walked forward for only a moment before shame consumed him. The girl giggled.

"It's not funny," he defended, growing red.

The wagon remained stationary, even as he pulled. He didn't get much more chance to improve his stance before she repossessed control of it. The rest of the walk home was not permeated by voices but complimented by the gentler traffic of the twilight hours. As soon as they were home, they entered the elevator and reached their floor. Nate still looked down, silent. 

"Stop pouting." She rubbed his hand.

"I am not pouting. I promise."

"Okay." She sported a soft smile.

Halle, Stephen, and Anthony were already home, which came as no surprise to the two, considering that there wasn't much work to be done without an active case. One was soon to come, likely even tomorrow, but for the time being, it was silent.

Nate retreated to his quarters, asking the girl to take the wagon with them. She wanted to jump at the opportunity to tease him about it, but he didn't sound as sheepish in his request as he did before. They went down the somewhat new corridor path through the cards. His office was still in the center but was much more spacious yet less streamlined with the odd  and contorting entrance way. The girl left the wagon in the middle of his office. Nate turned to her.

"Take a shower, please."

"Are you implying I stink?" She asked.

"No, I just need to be alone for a few minutes."

"Hey, I know it'll take endless prying, but you can talk to me. What's wrong?"

"As I said before, I promise I'm fine."

"Are you lying to me?"

"No."

She decided to trust him and left for the bathroom. Thinking of his tone, she concluded that the more time he had alone, the better. A bath was her personal treat, so she conjured bubbles, candles, salts, petals, and a few oils. Another little incentive was her naked body. Like any other person, she spent her initial youth discontent in her won skin for virtually every reason: shape, skin tone, texture, proportions, hair, and anything else one would think of. She guessed that she lost the concept of body shame and shallow insecurity. It was absolutely freeing, even if it took almost two years.