I Would Have Lied

I watched her as she slept in my bed.
She lay under the covers, her skirt on my floor, and her thin legs covered by my favorite pajama bottoms.
If you asked me then if I loved her, I would have lied to you.

I watched her dance without a care in the world. Her dress flowing around her knees as she swayed, hanging off a guy's arm. If you asked me then if I loved her, I would have lied.

I watched her smile, leaning over to peck a boy on the cheek. She looked so happy with him, laughing like he told the best joke ever. If you asked me then if I loved her, I would have lied.

I watched her as she cried. I heard her wail about how she wanted to die. I comforted her the best I could. I held her tight. If you asked me then if I loved her, I would have lied.

I watched her grow and move on. I could see her smile again, but behind a wall of pain. One I didn't think I could break down. If you asked me then if I loved her, I would have lied.

I watched her on the edge, ready to jump. She broke. All the acting was killing her. She said she couldn't pretend to be happy anymore. If you asked me then if I loved her, I would have lied.

I watched her stand again. After breaking again and again, I watched her stand. She built herself up again. It took her time but she did it. If you asked me then if I loved her, I would have lied.

I watched her walk her way down the isle, and I couldn't lie anymore. I couldn't hide what I felt. I'd been her best friend for years, forever. I watched her grow, I helped her through. I was there every step of the way and this guy waltzes in and takes her from me. If you asked me then if I loved her, I wouldn't have lied.

I would have told you I did. I would have screamed it to the world. And I did. I told her, in front of everyone there. That I loved her with every thing I am and that I couldn't let her do this. I couldn't watch her walk to marry someone else. I wouldn't live through it.

I watched her walk toward me. She was wearing her wedding dress, a different one this time. This one was meant for me. Because I stopped lying, and I won the girl.

If you asked me then if I loved her, I would have told you that I always had.