Chap 4

The sun danced upon the trees on the horizon and beautiful colours displayed along the sky.
"Hey, whatcha looking at?" Carl asked startling me.
He always tended to sneak up on me like that.

"Oh, I was just admiring the sky! Care to join?" I asked politely.
Carl nervously scratched the back of his head.

"Actually, I was wondering if you wanted to come to the guard tower to talk?" He invited.
'Talk' ? more like get drunk out of our minds and do stupid stuff we would regret in the morning.

"Ehh" I shrugged slightly and gazed into the little details in his eyes that always mesmerized me.
Carl widened his eyes.

"Please Stephanie? You never know.. Tomorrow could be your last day and you would die never knowing the feeling." He pointed.
I mean, he did have some truth.

"FINE." I rolled my eyes jokingly.

He lead me to the guard's tower, as we walked inside, I had an eerie feeling.
I placed myself down on the guards chair.

"So. Shall we talk?" Carl asked.

"Yeah 'talk'?" I giggled slightly before pinning up my knotted brown curls.

"Or we can take some shots?" He offered
I began to feel nervous.., Very nervous.

"If i do actually follow through with this. We don't tell anyone.., Promise?"

"I promise" Carl smiled widely before opening the bottle of vodka
I grabbed the bottle from the desk ahead and took a sniff of the clear liquid.

It smelt disgusting.
I quickly took a large swig from the bottle.
It burned my throat and tasted horrible. Why did people drink this, again?

Carl laughed hysterically at the scrunched face I made after consuming the alcohol.

"Every sip goes with a question. Okay?" Carl questioned.
I nodded my head in substitution for replying.

"What happened with you and Shane for you to despise him so much?" Carl asked.
I felt slightly uncomfortable with the question and took another swig of the vodka. It made me feel more at peace with answering.

"Well. When I was a toddler Shane hit my mother and I, when we kicked him out. He left the title 'dad' with him.. After the disease broke out he started..." I began., I took a deep breath and wiped a tear that started to flow freely down my cheek.

Carl walked towards me to give me a hug and a reassuring squeeze.

"I wont judge you. Just please tell me" Carl smiled reassuringly before sitting down on another office chair.

"F-first he started hitting me and touching me inappropriately, th-then he raped me multiple times. I just, I just feel like I'm nothing because of him. He took all of the good out of my life and now? Now all I see is a everlasting pit of darkness. Once one day of light comes through, he finds away to flood my life with more darkness. It just isn't fair and I can't handle it anymore." I full out sobbed and took another swig of the large bottle of vodka.
I started to feel a little dizzy, probably from crying so much.

Carls mouth opened in shock before opening another bottle.

"Stephanie. I will be here for you every step of the way. I will make sure he does not do anything like that again. Don't worry.." Carl gazed into my eyes.
I wonder what he thought when he looked Into them?

He leaned himself in for another hug, I felt secure, protected.., What were these feelings I was experiencing with Carl?, In my past i never felt anything towards anybody, this whole 'feeling' thing was all new to me.
We rested into each others arms for a while before I pulled away.

"Let's have some fun!" Carl flashed a wink towards me.
The simple gesture of a nod was my response until seconds later I added
"No more questions, just shots."
****

I took one last chug of the liquid and a shake of my head in disgust was followed by it. I felt very lightheaded and as if nothing was real and no pain lingered inside my body.
I lifted my hand in front of my face and moved it around. Observing my movements and how distorted they seemed.

"You look cute when you are focused" Carl's voice was slurred. Was this a side affect of alcohol?
My cheeks heated and I giggled.

"Carl, I feel weird" I stated.
Carl burst into laughter and I pouted as a response to his rude out burst of laughter.

"I'm sorry," Carl still had a smile plastered to his cheeks.
He truly did look adorable.
I craned my head so I was facing the other direction of him.

"Please forgive me, babe" I could just hear the smirk in his voice.
Babe? He just called me babe.
My cheeks burned to a burgundy red.
Carl grabbed my chin and made me face his direction.
He leaned towards me and I felt myself repeat his actions.
Seconds later, his lips were hovering over mine.
His breath was hot on my skin.

"Forgive me now?" He questioned.
I nodded my head before interlocking our lips.
I pulled away seconds after and sat in shock with a goofy grin drawn onto my face.
The gaze in our eyes was never broken.
His eyes started to multiply and I felt my stomach start to turn.

"I'mma go lay on the floor for a sec." I broke our gaze by laying onto the cold concrete floor of the guard tower.
**

The turning in my stomach stopped but I remained on the concrete floor. Carl propelled himself next to me.
He grabbed me roughly by the hips and pulled my into him. I was expecting the worse but to my surprise he whispered into my ear.
"I will always protect you."
I fell asleep knowing I was safe for the first time in years.