Chap 3

My eyes adjusted to the light flooding through the bars of my cell. My back cracked as I bent backwards and yawned.
I stood up from the stiff bed, walked out of my cell and jumped slightly when I noticed Shane  standing right there.

"What do you want?" I scoffed.

"We need to talk.," he informed.
I internally sighed. I wanted nothing to do with him. Conversations between us wont make him my dad again and he had to understand that.

"No. I don't want to talk to you," I rolled my eyes and spun on my heels.

"You fucking listen to me..," Shane spat.
My heart pounded out of my chest as I quickly turned to face him.
I knew what he was capable of doing and I knew he would make sure I had a slow painful death.

"I'm listening." I snarled. I didn't care how rude i sounded, He was just a horrible person, and I did not want that in my life.

"Sit the fuck down." He raised his voice and gripped my arm tight.
From a quick movement of his arm I was now pressed against the other side of my cell.
I let out a whimper as throbbing pain stung down my spine.
I attempted to take deep breaths, but It was hard due to the fact that I was winded.

Shane  stomped his way into the cell and looked down at me, smirking.
Goose bumps rose down my arms and my spine shivered at his glare.

"I'm your fucking father. You can't disrespect me." Shane's voice was raised,  I cringed at every word he barked out.

"You know what? You lost the advantage of being my dad a long time ago." A steady flow of tears escaped my eyes.
Carol peered into the cell before anything could happen.
With knowledge, carol interrupted the argument without further angering Shane,

"Good morning! Breakfast is ready."

"This conversation isn't over.," Shane pointed his finger through my soul.
He exited the room and I let everything loose.

"Stephanie, honey. Come get something to eat." Carol instructed with a soothing tone to her voice.

"I don't think I can g-get up. My back" I explained.
I took a few deep breaths are tears nipped at my eyes. I fought them away by blinking a few times.
Confusion fell upon carols face.

"I'll get Hershel to check it out.. Wait right here sweetie" carol smiled brightly causing my mind to relax slightly.

I caught a glimpse of Carl and my cheeks heated. He was just such an extraordinary human being. He was very intelligent, extremely respectful, tried to focus positively, and just  hearing his laugh could easily make my day..
Carl walked down the rusted stairs to breakfast.

"We have another girl around your age." I heard Daryl say softly.
Curiosity bubbled inside me. Who was Daryl talking to?
Daryl walked up the stairs and a young looking girl followed him.

"Oh here she is!" Daryl's lips curved into a slight smile and waved before leaving.
The girl walked into the room awkwardly.
Shades of steel and ultra marine blue shined off her black shoulder length hair.

"Uh, hey! I'm Nicki." She flashed an awkward smile before sitting on my bed.

"I'm Stephanie. Nice to meet you!" I introduced.
She slouched her shoulders and exhaled. She already seemed like she was warming up.
In the past, I was one to make friends but during the breakout, not many kids survived, leaving it just Carl, Sophia and I.
But around a year after the out break, Sophia passed away.
I stared at the brick wall beside me.
I was unsure of what to say. It was a while since I've met somebody new.

"Daryl is locking me up for the night to make sure I'm safe to be around." Nicki frowned slightly

"It's standard procedure, we have had people come in before and try to harm us." I explained.
She nodded in response.

"Hi Stephanie, and hello! I don't believe we have met, I'm Hershel" hershel introduced.

"I'm nicki!" She mumbled.

"So steph? What happened?" Hershel questioned. I switched my gaze from the wall to him.
Do I tell him?

"Well, I slipped while getting up." I lied.
I wasn't the best liar but I gave him my most convincing plead