Chap seven

My eyes peeled open, adjusted to the darkness in closing me and I yawned loudly; stretching my arms over my head.
My body was laced with fear from my horrifying nightmare.
I soon stood myself up and instinctually walked to carl's cell as it was a part of my nightly routine.
Sure enough Carl was laying on the bunk with a flash light shining over his comic book.
He flicked his attention from his marvel comic to me.
A smile instantly sprouted on his face.

"Cant sleep?" Carl asked curiously.

I felt as if he really cared for me and it made me smile internally.
I grabbed the silver frame of the cell door and shifted my weight to my right foot.

"I just had a bad dream."
I directed a sly smile towards him.
Carl patted a spot to sit near him and I gladly took it. He remained laying down but watched me intently as I gazed down at him. Ever since we kissed, I felt strange feelings towards him. It wasn't just a simple crush either.

"What did you dream about?." Carl questioned.

I sighed

"The past." I frowned slightly.

"You don't have to talk about it, really. I can wait till you are ready." Carl assured.

I appreciated how understanding he was. It allowed me to shallowly trust him.

"Thanks for understanding.. I'm just... I'm just too scared to go back to bed." I explained
I quickly tied my hair into a messy bun on the crown of my head.

"You can stay here until you're ready, or you can just stay here all night! It wouldn't be that weird that we slept in the same bed.. Right?" Carl invited.

"Yeah, no Its not a big deal sleeping in the same bed"

I felt quite eerie about sleeping in the same bed as a boy. Mostly one I liked, technically loved.. Was I in love with Carl?
Carl placed himself against the wall which left me with more room on the small bed.
I flattened myself out on the bed and stared around the small cell.

"Hey Carl?" I whispered.

"Yeah?" Carl answered innocently.

"Thank you." I smiled to myself and felt a tear bite at my eyes.
I quickly attempted to blink it away but felt a burning sensation in my eyes.

"I'll be here for you, Stephanie. No matter what." Carl insisted.
I was eternally grateful to have Carl in my life.
Carl was my saviour, As he kept me whole and protected me from my inner demons.
I flipped myself so I was facing him and attempted to hug him. He immideatly hugged me back.
His touch was warm and drew goosebumps on my arms.
I felt my eyes instantaneously close in his embrace. I felt his lips press against my forehead innocently and a peaceful melody of carls heart beat and breath slowly put me to sleep.

*DREAM*

"Have fun, sweetie! Be safe!" Carol exclaimed.
My eyebrows furrowed together at her sentence. 'Have fun', what was going on that I didn't know about?

"Make sure you are safe in 'that way' with Carl.." Carol added before winking towards me playfully.
What did she mean 'that way?' A pit of anger boiled inside me.. What was Carl telling everyone?
I flashed a meaningless smile before hunting Carl down.. I needed answers.

"Carl, what is going on?! Everyone is telling me to be safe and have fun as if I am going somewhere with you... I demand to know what is going on.." I fumed.
Carl's hands went up in surrender and a joking plead plastered his face.

"I'm sorry, but you cant know where we are going.. It's a surprise!" Carl poorly explained.
I rolled my eyes in annoyance. I hated surprises and everybody knew that. Carl obviously didn't get that through his thick skull.
I sighed before exiting the area Carl was packing in.