Chapter 28: 24 February, 1901

24 February, 1901

Dear Spot,

It's Valentine's Day! And, Happy Valentine's day. It's been great to hear from you. I'm not really sure what to say other than this:

I remember the first moment I met you and seeing your arrogant attitude and the way you thought you were above everybody else. It infuriated me! I remember rolling my eyes at the way Jack had been nervous about my coming. I wasn't scared of you when I first saw you. I thought that Jack was being ridiculous when he thought I was going to fall in love with you. How wrong I was....

I first knew I loved you when you agreed to come and help us without my knowing. When I saw you up on that fire escape with your slingshot in hand I felt like my knight in shining armor had just shown up. I was thrilled to see you and the way you were willing to risk everything to help with the strike. I loved that about you.

I, however, didn't realize that you too had fallen in love with me, which is why I accepted Skittery's invitation to the Newsie Rally. I thought surely you would choose one of the many girl throwing themselves at you, so when you showed up alone, my confusion was overwhelming.

When the Delancey brothers kidnapped me, I screamed for your help. I don't know why because part of me was just certain you weren't going to come. But, I guess the part of me that loved you won out and just kept telling me you were coming. As calm and composed as I felt, I was honestly scared, but I obviously couldn't show that.

Jack was arrested and I felt like somebody had taken a sledge hammer to my leg. But, you were my crutch to walk on and I couldn't be more grateful. Who knows what I would've done without you that day. That was the second time they've taken what's left of my family away from me and it hurt worse than the first time.

Finally, the time my "father" kidnapped me. I thought I was dead and nobody would show up except maybe Jack and a few Manhattan Newsies who'd get viciously slaughtered. You can imagine my surprise when some of the best Newsie fighters in Brooklyn came to my rescue and I was even more surprised when you came. It was then I knew I still loved you and could never love anyone else the way I love you.

Those are a few events that really stuck out to me. Of course, we have been through some rough times together, but we're okay and still going strong. I love you with everything I have and I can't imagine ever loving someone else more than you because the depths of a love like that are impossible.

All of my love always,

Jay ​​​​​​​