Chapter 20: Expectantly waiting

Slowly Isabelle's eyes fluttered open as she groaned at the sunlight streaming in through the cracks of the curtains. Tiredly she rubbed her eyes, and realized that she was no longer in her dress, but rather her nightgown now. Isabelle sought to sit up, but realized that she was already sitting, looking over her shoulder, she noticed Alexander sitting behind her, his arms wrapped around her waist with his chin rested on her shoulder, silently looking ahead.

"Alexander?" Isabelle called out to her husband, as he hummed in response. "What happened?"

Alexander let out a soft chuckle at that.

"You aren't taking care of yourself, amour. You collapsed in the gardens." He chastised as Isabelle bit her lower lip. He was always fussing over her health and Isabelle collapsing was never a good sign.

Until now, that is.

"In how much trouble am I?" Isabelle asked softly after an extended pause between their conversation.

"Oh, you are very much in trouble. I should punish you." Alexander stated. "But how can I, if I am so happy?"

Isabelle turned around on his lap, so that now she was facing him, confusion evident on her features.

"What happened?" Isabelle asked before her face lit up with a smile. "Is Charles dead?!"

Alexander looked at her in amusement, thoroughly surprised that she was so overly enthusiastic about the supposed death of the British Emperor.

"No, amour. Charles is not dead, that is my duty." Alexander laughed at the downcast face that adorned Isabelle's features at the clarification.

"Then?" She urged with a pout. "I don't know what else could have you so exultant and smiling." 

Alexander laughed at her antics and settled her on his lap again, her back pressed to his chest as his arms were encircling her waist, his chin on her shoulder.

"Que diriez-vous un héritier?" Alexander murmured in her ear. "How about an heir?"

Isabelle looked over her shoulder at him in confusion, before her mouth fell open with the realization that she was expecting. Isabelle gasped as she looked down at her stomach, on which Alexander was currently soothingly rubbing circles with is thumb. Staring down at her stomach, tears of joy pooled in her eyes, a wide smile adorning her lips. Tentatively she brought her hand onto her stomach, feeling the skin beneath her palm, not being able to comprehend the fact that she was with child.

"Alex..." She murmured as tears flowed down. "I'm with child."

"Yes, a little prince or princess." Alexander said lovingly as he came to sit beside her, as he gently placed a hand on her stomach and smiled back at her.

"I love you so much." Alexander sighed adoringly at his queen, lifting his hand from her stomach he stroked her cheek before they both met in the middle and kissed slowly and tenderly. "I love you so much too, little one."

Isabelle giggled as Alexander swooped down and kissed her stomach. He pulled her nightgown over her head and pressed kisses all over her pale skin. Isabelle tangled her hands into her husband's hair watching as he mumbled sweet nothings against her stomach.

"I love you," She whispered. "both of you."

***

It had been a few months since the news of Isabelle's pregnancy was revealed. Everyone was overjoyed. Especially Clarisse, whom had been long awaiting to have grandchildren.
Isabelle, remembered the day they had told Clarisse, oh, how expected her reaction was.