eleven

ELEVEN

                                                                  "Start The Chase Again"

                                                            .                        .                         .

I LOVE YOU

BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE SAID IT YET

AND I KNOW YOU FEEL IT, TOO

BUT I WAS NEVER GOOD AT PLAYING HARD TO GET

"This song sucks." Callie sighs.

Sophia chuckles, lowering her book onto her lap and raising her eyebrows at Callie, "Too relatable for you?"

Callie scowls at her younger sister's remark and flips her off, "Screw you."

"That's not very nice. I'm just a little girl--"

"Little girls don't force their peers to be adopted."

Sophia's face drops and she clears her throat, her eyes scanning the book with a blank expression. All of the words are blurred now, she's barely paying attention, obviously stung. Callie, unapologetic, changes the song on her Spotify. Blood On The Leaves starts to play, and she's content. That's when she feels it.

thump.

Callie furrows her eyebrows for a moment, processing.

thump.

Her hand twitches on her knee and her gaze lowers to her stomach.

THUMP.

She jumps this time, her hand flying over her stomach immediately and her eyes growing in size. Sophia glances up from her book worriedly, saving the page with her thumb. "Are you okay?" she asks, preparing to get off of her spot on the bed. Callie nods quickly.

"Y-Yeah, I just . . . A kick." she breathes out. Sophia takes a minute to decipher what Callie means, and when she figures it out, she lets out a small gasp and a smile spreads out across her face.

"The baby kicked!" she exclaims, clapping her hands together, "Oh my gosh, that's amazing!"

"Um, yeah. . ." Callie's hand twitches again. She's not quite sure what to do, this has never happened to her before. She's heard stories online and from her very own mother about how it felt for the first time, like there's nothing else that matters in the world, that you're finally complete, the suspense subsides . . . There's a kid in there. Woah.

But Callie doesn't necessarily feel like that -- her emotions mix together in her stomach and twist in knots. She's a bit shocked, actually. That's what it feels like? It's so weird. It's the most unfamiliar feeling to her.