Ch. 2 - Caramel Frappe and Chocolate Fix

Lexi's POV

Once I had tripled checked that I had everything packed, I changed into what I considered my "Classic Rock and Roll" outfit, a navy blue blazer, a rolling stones retro t-shirt, boot cut jeans and stylish pull-on ankle boots and put my hair into a French braid and grab my ray-bans from the top of my dresser. Well, at least this is the first client briefing that I didn't have to dress like you see the secret service guys. Black suit and white button down shirt, how boring can you get - jeesh, at least this time I would be comfy.

As I bring my luggage down to load into the back of Jace's Highlander, I noticed the cursory glance my attire was given. Well they say the best offense is a good defense, so I beat Jace to it and said, "You said I should dress the part, and I don't know if I would have time to change between the corporate jet landing and the transfer to the international flight out of JFK. Oh and by the way, can we stop and pick me up a caramel frappe on the way? I am going to need the sugar and the caffeine to keep me awake so I can strategize on the flights."

Jace gives me this knowing smirk, he and my brothers have always told me that I have been naturally caffeinated since I learned to crawl and my caramel frappe addiction is more about my sweet tooth than anything. They are so correct about it, that it is an inside joke amongst the twelve of us. I guess it's my way of dealing with all the testosterone in the house growing up - at least that is what I use as an excuse!

Once we were all loaded up, we leave the property and I take one last look at the house. During the summer, the heat can be quite uncomfortable and the land can get parched quickly. However, I just want to memorize it, as I wasn't sure when I would return home from this job. As we pull out of the driveway and head north on the road, Jace turns on the audio and selects the aux input. The Moody Blues starts to play, his normal driving playlist. I glance to my left with a smirk, and he catches my slight movement. His peripheral vision had always been great, so much so that you could never get away with anything when you were near him.

After driving for twenty minutes, we pull into a spot infront of Dastardly Dick's Coffee, and I get out and walk in the door. I recognize the handsome guy behind the counter and walk up to him while his back is turned and give him a head slap.

He turns around quickly with a yelp, "Why the hell did you do that Lexi?"

"Because I won't be able to for a while. Plus, I need an extra-large caramel frappe pronto! TJ," I informed one of my two identical twin baby brothers.

As TJ begins to put the ingredients in the blender, he gives me the famous alternating raised eyebrows that all of my siblings and I can do. It is our way of saying what the hell is going on, without using words.

My response is simple and just one word, "Jace". Enough said, that means a job in our family's shorthand. As the blender finishes up, TJ pours the coffee frappe into the largest drink container and added my normal toppings of whipped cream, chocolate drizzle and caramel drizzle and then capped it with a domed lid. I also ask him, "Can you add one of the chocolate chip muffins to the order too and I also need the receipt for expenses." I pay with my debit card, grab my drink, muffin bag and the receipt. Lean of the counter and give him a kiss on his cheek an tell him, "Be good while I am gone and that I don't want to hear that he is making me an Aunt in the near future."

The blush on his cheeks is priceless and he responds, "Sort of impossible Lexi, as you know that Richard doesn't have the proper plumbing for that to happen." I walk out laughing and get back into the Highlander. As soon as I buckle up, Jace reverses the vehicle and pulls back into traffic.

I was in heaven sipping my drink an eating my muffin. I mean, what can beat a caramel frappe and chocolate fix in the morning. The muffin is gone within the first ten minutes of the our drive starting back up. Hey, when you live in a house with twelve guys, you learn to eat quickly so it is not taken out of your hands and eaten in front of your eyes! Or as I call it "Harpooning" when a fork is involved.

We pulled off of the road and entered into the gate of the airfield and pulled up next to the tower. Arriving fifteen minutes early prior to the arrival of the client's corporate jet ETA. I get my suitcase and backpack out and set it beside the Highlander, put on my ray-bans and lean back against the front grill. Time to get into work mode, at only twenty three and being a female, most people write me off as being effective in the providing personal security for clients. So, I assume an aura of command authority and get in the zone. Hilariously, I am mimicking Jace's exact same posture. I guess the nickname that my family gave me does suit me, Mini Me, especially when it comes to Jace and I.

A few minutes later, I hear the drone of a jet's engine getting louder and turn towards the noise. I can make out the vapor trails from it's wingtips. I could tell it was on it's final approach glide path as the nose was angling up and the landing gear was locking into position. In just a few moments it will be show time!

****************************************************************************************************

I promise it will start getting more interesting, I felt I needed to set up some of Lexi's background and personality traits before bringing in the rest of the cast of characters. As you can tell, Lexi has a unique perspective on life and she loves her family and what she does.