Ch. 3 - Meeting the Clients

Lexi's POV

As the jet landed, I could tell from its silhouette that it was a Bombardier Learjet 85. One of the newest corporate jets produced by Bombardier, and it had the stylish upswing wing tips with a blue metallic custom paint job accented with silver and gold pin stripping along the body, wing tips and the tail. What intrigued me was that there was no logo on the plane, which meant that it was not a plane for hire and that whoever owned it didn’t want to announce their presence to the world. Plus, it had a spacious cabin that depending on the layout could contain individual seating for eight passengers or seating for six individual passengers and a three section couch. The cockpit was state of the art, having the newest flight and navigation technology on a three panel full color HD display for the pilot’s and copilot’s convenience. In other words this plane cost a pretty penny, it would run about $17 million US dollars and depending on the interior even more, just to purchase. It’s price tag doesn’t even take into account the insurance, maintenance or fuel fees to run this baby each year.

This client isn’t concerned with expenses, so I raise an eyebrow as turned to look at Jace and said, “Nice taste in aircraft, at least I will be flying in luxury on the way to JFK.” His response was a combination lopsided grin and smirk.

Once the jet has completed its landing run out, it turns and begins to taxi to the main hanger and fuel depot. So, I sling my backpack over my left shoulder, grab my caramel frappe in my left hand and my suitcase with my right hand, while Jace grabs his briefcase, and wait for the Learjet’s engines to completely shut down and the landing gear to have chalks placed in front and behind the wheels.

As the cabin door is opened, one of the cabin crew descends along with Jace’s old mentor, Paul. Some of you might know Paul, Mr. Paul Higgins. He is a sweet teddy bear of a guy, but is built like a strong old oak tree and won’t hesitate to do what it takes to protect his clients or those he cares about, something that I have witnessed firsthand as a child.

The crew person heads to the hangar office, either to arrange for maintenance, refueling or filing a change of flight plans with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). While Paul approaches Jace and I with a grin on his face, extending his hand for a shake and stating, “Nice to see you again Jace. I just wished it was under better circumstances.” Paul then turns to me and grabs me in one of his famous bear hugs, which took me by surprise, and informs me, “You’ve sure grown up squirt and turned out nicely.”

That comment, caused me to pull down my ray-bans and glance over the upper rim and respond in a low and menacing growl, “Thanks, I think But, I should warn you that my accuracy with knives has improved greatly since the last time you saw me.” I pushed my glasses back up and take a long sip of my caramel frappe through the straw.

Paul glances over to Jace, who shrugs and pats Paul’s back and replies, “Forewarned is forearmed, old bud.” Paul looks back and forth between Jace and myself, and voices, “A chip off the old man isn’t she, you’ll fit in perfectly for this job.” Since, the last time he saw my old man, was shortly before my parents’ deaths when I was five.

“Please come with me.”, he said and grabbed for my suitcase and extended his arm towards the cabin door. “Ladies first”, he stated as we reached the steps, to which I responded with, “Youth before senility, you mean.” This earned a sharp back of a laugh from Paul. Which earned Jace an elbow from Paul, in which Paul murmured, “Taught her to give it as good as she gets, didn’t you.” Jace shout whispers back, “No she learned that all on her own having to deal with me and her brothers. She fits in perfectly with the rest of us, and can crack the whip underneath us, keeping us all on our best manners and on our toes when needed.”

I turn around as I reach the top step of the cabin door and inquire, “So if the senior citizens have finished having their discussion, I would like to get this briefing under way.” As I enter the passenger cabin, I pushed my ray-bans up on top of my head and noticed that the layout has seating for six individuals and a couch. Three seats are occupied and the couch is already occupied by three other people. I recognized them immediately and mutter under my breath, “Holy hell, what have I’ve gotten myself into.” The passengers on this flight where Simon Cowell and the lads of One Direction, Liam, Louis, Niall, Harry and Zayn.