Ch. 8 - Road Trip

Lexi’s POV

After a quick twenty minute cat nap, I felt the plane begin to descend and hear the hydraulics begin lowering the landing gear and locking it into place. I stretch my arms in an effort to crack my back and neck and notice that everyone in the cabin now has calmness about them. Has my presence helped to cause this? I hope so.

I looked over and saw that Simon was packing up the paperwork, which he had been working on for the majority of this flight, and Paul was double checking the flight itinerary for the last leg of our journey.

“Paul, what is our flight out of JFK?” I inquired.

“British Airways Flight 0176, departing JFK at 7:30 pm and we should arrive at 7:20 am at Heathrow.” I enter this info into my phone, so that I can send it quickly to Jace.

“I know that Jace said that I would be flying first class. You know this will draw attention to me, as I assume that the rest of the 1D team, band or crew will most likely have tickets in business, coach or economy”, I inquired.

“It will draw attention; however, Lexi, it was the only seat left on the flight. So, I rearranged our seating so that you will be sitting in the seat closest to the cabin entrance, at the back end of the first class section, and on an aisle. You seat places you in the last row of everyone else in our group. Oh, and I just found out that you’ll actually be sitting in the same row that Louis’s mum and his stepfather.”

“Paul, why didn’t you tell me earlier that family would be on board?”

“We always try to reserve all or most of first class seating when the lads travel. This gives them more room to spread out and relax, as well as offering seats to be used by family at short notice. Like now – I only received the message a few minutes ago, as Jay had known that there were extra seats on our flight home. It appears that Louis’ parents had been in New York on a romantic getaway and to do a little bit of shopping. You found out just a few minutes after I did Lexi.”

“Okay, thanks for the FYI, but Paul please keep in mind that at some point I need to talk with you about how we proceed from Heathrow to the safe house. Will we be waiting in a VIP Lounge until our transatlantic flight boards? Do they have a corner or an area that we can control access to the lads by setting up a security perimeter?”

I know that Paul understood what I was saying, as a slight smile turned up the outward corners of his mouth and a miniscule nod was given, as we wouldn’t be able to talk during the flight due to Louis’s Mum and Stepfather being seated near me.  I then felt the plane’s increase in speed, as it began its final approach, and the jar of the back landing gear hitting the end of the runway. Shortly thereafter, I felt the front landing gear make contact with the pavement and the engines reverse and the breaking system beginning to engage and slow the plane down.

Through the cabin’s window, I could tell we had landed at another small airport and that we were taxiing to a location that had five black extended SUV type vehicles, I couldn’t quite tell the make and model from this distance. Pointing at the vehicles I inquired, “Our transportation to JFK?”

Pau looked over to where I was pointing. “Yup, the first one is for Simon, to head into the city for business and the others to transport the rest of us and the luggage to JFK.”

I went over my plan for loading the vehicles with any luggage or equipment from the cargo hold and how I wanted the lads to be split between the vehicles. I turned away from him without looking for his agreement, as I assumed an air of authority in this security operation. I then looked at Simon holding out my hand, meeting his gaze directly, and say with a cocky attitude, “I hope that your business meeting goes well and I promise that I will personally kick ‘Anonymously Yours’ arse to the ground.”