Chapter One

Credits to @EverLovingAdelaide for the cover and a big chunk of the storyline. Thanks again!

The bus was crowded, but the woman sitting at the front of it hardly noticed the cramped atmosphere of the public vehicle. She was too ecstatic at the prospect of starting a new life in California.

Clementine Grace Allen was 24 years old, and she had been offered a job at a fairly nice restaraunt in California by a friend of her older brother Cliff- hence her moving there all the way from Baltimore, Maryland. Clementine was a fairly experienced sommelier with a masters in not only mixology and culinary, but a few degrees in music as well. She had gone to a community college in Baltimore, her family wasn't exactly wealthy and it was hard for her parents to ensure even just her and her brother a comfortable lifestyle. So if she wanted to go to college, it was either community college or a scholarship, which she didn't recieve. So with her new degrees in hand, she worked at her brother's bar until she had been offered the job by his friend. Cliff was probably still fairly pissed at both of them that she left, but there was no doubt in Clementine's mind that she needed to sieze the opportunity. Cliff's restaraunt wasn't bad, but this one was better. Clementine just wanted to do what she thought was best- so here she was.

The bus screeched to a stop, and Clementine's handbag nearly flew out of her lap and into the back of the driver's head, but she snatched it in mid-air. She sighed in relief and hurried down the footprint-ridden bus stairs, realizing that this stop was hers. The sun hit her eyes and she sheilded them with the piece of paper that held her new adress. When she took cover under a shady tree, she lowered the piece of paper and read it. 197 Knox Place, Apartment H4. She read it about four times before veturing back out from under the shady oak. Even then, she still ran it through a few times in her head until she found the right apartment building. She pushed the letter 'H' on the elevator, her stomach dropping slightly as it rose, then stopped with a 'ding'.

The hallway was empty, Clementine's footfalls ringing in them. She stopped at her door and sighed, in mostly excitement. The only downside to this move that she had discovered so far was that living in an apartment building, she wouldn't be able to play her music as loudly- not if she didn't want problems with the landlord and her new neighbors, at least.

Clementine fished the key out of her purse and worked it into the lock with a considerable amount of effort. She made a mental note to have the key and lock checked out by the building manager when she saw him next. The door swung open with minimal noise to reveal a quaint living room. A small blue couch faced one of the walls that hosted a round window and bookshelf. By the couch was an end table, on top of that was a intricate glass lamp. That would be a nice spot to read, Clementine decided. The kitchen was off to the side, with an open floor plan that allowed for easy access. All cabinets and appliances were positioned so that they were against the wall, cabinets, a fridge, stove, sink, and oven. All she needed, now that she was by herself. Walking down the short little hallway that led to her bedroom, she caught a glimpse of herself in the hanging mirror. Her auburn hair was a little ruffled, but her green eyes still shone and the new feeling of independence still radiated off of her.

Her bedroom door sported the same color palette as the living room and kitchen, the wallpaper was agean with an off-white trim and flowers of azure dotting the walls in a random pattern. The bed and it's bedding was white, with a dark oak headboard to tie it all together. A dresser of the same type of wood sat empty, waiting to be filled with Clementine's belongings.

Clementine set her bags down on the floor. The first thing she pulled out was an alarm clock. She tuned it so that it was now correct for California after the time change, plugged it in by her bedside, set it for eight thirty the next morning and promptly fell asleep on the bed, not bothering to change or get under the blankets.