Chapter 6

Clementine was now out of the hospital and, as promised, Mike was at her house the next night, seven o'clock sharp with a boquet of Tiger-Lillies in hand. Clementine walked to the door, and opened it with a nervous smile. She gasped at the man standing in front of her- Mike was clad in an incredibly handsome suit with his hair combed neatly- and to top it off, his green hat that Clementine absolutely adored.

Mike was taken aback by Clementine's appearance. Her curly hair was smooth and up in a bun, and she was wearing a blue polka dotted dress with white heels to match. He could barely tell her how beautiful she looked, and Clementine was hardly able to express how handsome Mike looked. They ended up speaking at the same time.

"Wow."

Mike held Clementine's hand and they walked together while making good conversation. They talked about the band, what Baltimore was like, and everything in between. There came a time when Mike slipped his hands over Clementine's eyes, and she giggled.

"Mike," she laughed. "Mike, what are you doing?" He leaned down and whispered in her ear, and a blush spread across her face at his proximity.

"You'll find out soon, Clementine." He told her, his incredibly sexy twang sending shivers down her spine.

They walked for a good five minutes before Mike stopped.

"You ready?" He asked. Clementine nodded and he removed his hands from her eyes before slipping them around her waist. She gasped in delight.

"Oh, Mike! They fixed it, they fixed Charlie's diner!" Mike kissed her cheek and she nestled her head into his shoulder with a smile as wide as any that Mike had ever seen. The Daybird Diner was indeed repaired and, unbeknownst to Clementine, opening the following day.

"I knew I'd get you with this." Mike said, as she turned around to face him. She pulled gently on the edges of his crisp shirt collar.

"You don't even have to try, do you Mike?" He chuckled.

Mike and Clementine walked through the silver doors of the restaraunt and Charlie was there waiting for them.

"Hey, Clem, Mike." He walked them to a little table behind the stage, next to the big window that overlooked the ocean. The stars in the sky were beginning to show through the thin veil of afternoon sun, and the moon had made an appearance as well, creating a magical swirl of colors both on the sky and the waves crashing below it.

"Mike, you did this for me?" Mike slipped his hand into Clementine's and rested his chin on his other one.

"I wanted you to be happy." Mike told her.

"I'm with you," said Clementine. "That's more than I could ever wish for. Mike, this is beautiful."

Charlie served them each a dinner on the house, partially to make it a special first date and also because he felt bad for getting Clementine mixed up in everything that happened with the diner. They had a lovely and very romantic meal, but when they were done, Mike announced to Clementine that it wasn't over yet.

"What do you mean, Mike?" Clementine turned around in her chair as he walked behind her. She realized that he was gettin up on the small stage meant for the bands that played there. "Mike?"

Charlie walked out from behind the back room, handing Mike a guitar.

"Clementine, I think you're beautiful, inside and out. I wrote this song, but I haven't showed the boys yet, so you're gonna be the first one to hear it." Clementine beamed from her chair as Mike strummed and gazed back at her lovingly. He sang Clementine a song that she had indeed never heard before, but she admired it's flow all the same. The way Mike sang it, with a Texan twang that was soft and just beneath the surface of the song, made her see stars.

Mike's fingers strummed the last chord, and for a while nobody said anything. Clementine just stared at him incredulously, and Mike's eyes softly returned the gaze.

"Mike...that was the most beautiful song I've ever heard. You wrote that...for me?" Mike nodded. A light breeze blew through the window, and the moon shone over the rolling ocean waves creating a beautiful scene.

"Can I tell you something, Clementine?" Mike took her hands in hers.

"Anything." Clementine replied.

"Clem, I...I love you."

His and her hearts exploded as their lips pressed against eachother in a passionate and tender kiss.