Perhaps I Should Have Been Strong

"Layla, Layla, Layla, you're going to be fine. They'll restore your magic, you'll be fine. No one is going to die!" Jude tried to reassure me, but we all knew it was no use. "No no, I'm going to die I'm going to die!" I start bawling, I wasn't ready to leave, I wanted to see the first day my daughter went to school! "Layla, they'll fix you up, don't worry!" Jude was obviously worried. "No no no, I'm going to die I'm going to die!" I wail.

They put me on the bed and were rolling me to a room that was meant to help people with magic deprivation. But I knew it was no use, that I was going to die. "Jude, where's Lucy, I want to see her." I say when they stopped in the room.

The hospital doctors and nurses left quickly to grab a few things. "Lucy, we left her in the waiting room with Natsu." Jude ran out with a worried glance back at me. I sighed. I know I shouldn't have cried but I know I'm going soon.

Perhaps I should have taken it like a strong woman, not a
weak one. The day that I got married to Jude swept through my mind.

"Do you, Layla, take Jude as your lawfully wedded husband?" The priest asks. "I do." I smile. "And do you, Jude, take Layla as your lawfully wedded wife?" Jude smiles too. "I do!" "You may now kiss the bride!" Cheers of our friends and family fill the air.

"Mamma, are you crying?" Lucy shakes me out of the happy memory, bringing me back to reality. I wipe away my tears. "I was dear. Do you know why?" She shakes her head. "Use your intuition." She nods and closes her eyes, concentrating. She stood there, for half a minute and suddenly snapped her eyes open. "Your magic's disappearing?!" I nod. I glance at Jude, he didn't look like he wanted to explain.

"Lucy, sometimes you have to make sacrifices when the future of your loved ones is in your hands. My sacrifice was to lose my magic in order for the Celestial Spirits to be able to roam freely anywhere they chose."

I say. "But Mamma, can't they already do that?" I shake my head. "There is a law decreed in the Celestial Spirit World that every seven hundred years, there will be a day where no Spirit can leave their Realm. So if I use my magic to destroy that law, then I will."

Lucy began crying, which means she knows what'll happen if my magic disappeared. "But Mamma, I don't want you to die!" I place my hand onto her head, ruffling her blonde hair.

"Hey now, if I don't survive, I'll be here." I point to her heart. "But Mamma—!" "—Shhh, I know I won't be here in person, but I'll still be supporting you from up there. There's no need to worry, you can always count on me and your dad to help you."

She looked very doubtful. "Lucy, keep these for me, give this one to Natsu and keep this one for yourself." I gave her a necklace and a bracelet. "O-Okay Mamma." Lucy says.

"Excuse me Mister, but we're going to have to start the procedure." A nurse says to my husband. "It's alright Jude, take Lucy and go." I smile. He gave me one last hug and left the room with our daughter, our daughter who had tears falling down her face.

Natsu, the little angel, ran in quickly and said, "I'll protect her no matter what! And I'll make her as happy as I can! Count on that Aunt!" I smile and answer, "Thank you Natsu. Now go make her happy." He salutes me and ran off to his best friend.

***

"We're losing her!" I say quickly to my colleagues. One of them adds another tube to her arm. The tubes were filled with Celestial Mage magic, we were hoping it was enough.
"Preform CPR!" I quickly run to her heart and start pumping.

"It's not working!" I say. "We can't use the defibrillator or the magic's gonna stop working!" Another one of my colleagues says. So I keep pumping, the beeps from the heart monitor stopped and a high pitch sound came from it.

I keep pumping, hoping it was going to work. But it didn't, we lost her. I walk backwards, horror filling my core. "Hey, this happens to every Magic Deficiency Disease Mage. She didn't come fast enough."

Charlie-san, one of the colleagues claps a hand over the shoulder. "But, what are we meant to tell those children?!" I start shaking, thinking of the disappointment and sadness they were going to feel.

What a huge burden for children so small. "We'll tell them exactly what we tell her husband." Porlyusica-san says grimly.

*

"We're sorry Jude-sama, there wasn't enough magic." I say. "What do you mean?" He'd looked hopeful before, but now was in disbelief. "There aren't enough Celestial Mages and she had a heart attack just before she died." I reply.

"W-What?" His face showed pure shock, and I felt really really terrible I couldn't save her. "We're sorry Jude-sama, but no one could help her." I say. Charlie-san pulled me away, because he saw that Jude-sama was looking angry.

***

How come they can save everyone but my wife?! This isn't fair, I brought her in as fast as possible, and they still couldn't save her?! I felt someone pull my hand. "Papa, Mamma said she'll be here and here."

Lucy pointed to her heart and my heart. Even though tears were falling, she still sounded clear and strong. "She said she will support us from up there, which means we can always talk to her. We can ask the Celestial Spirits how she's doing and pass on a message!" She pointed at the sky. "Lucy, I don't think that's how it works." I say.

"But Papa, have you ever been to the Celestial Spirit World? You can meet anyone there!" Perhaps she was right, but I didn't want to go. If it wasn't for them, she'd still be alive!

"Mister, I think we should go." Natsu said.