The Liske Family

Like he did on any given Sunday, Devon Griffin woke up early to go to church on October 31, 2010. He was staying the weekend at his father's house, and before church, he stopped by his mother's to grab a shirt to change into. It was about 9:30 AM, and the only person he saw around was his stepbrother, BJ Liske. BJ greeted Devon cheerfully and asked how long he'd be gone—a question that struck Devon as odd, since he and BJ didn't get along and never talked much.

After church, Devon went back home and played video games for a while. BJ seemed to have disappeared, and the house was uncharacteristically quiet. Figuring he ought to go wake everyone up—it was 1:30 PM by then—Devon went to the master bedroom and saw that his mother was still in bed with her husband, William Liske. The blanket was over their heads, as if they were trying to shut out the afternoon light. Devon started talking, hoping to rouse her, and when he got no response, he pulled the cover down.

Police were all over the house within hours. Devon had inadvertently . Sometime early that morning, 24-year-old William Liske Jr., whom the family called BJ, had shot his father in the head five times. Then he turned the gun on his stepmom before beating his stepbrother to death with a . The latter two were Devon's mother and brother.

BJ was picked up by police and taken into custody. He was found guilty of the three murders and sentenced to life in prison.