The Duplex

About 4 years ago, my boyfriend and I moved into a duplex just outside the city. The first day I was all alone in the house, I started thinking that I was seeing things out of the corner of my eye. Flashes of lights and shadows. I never ever had that sensation at my old place. It happens from time to time, but not this often. It was like every 10 minutes that I was turning around looking for something or someone behind me. When my boyfriend got home that night I asked him if he was experiencing the same thing. He told me no, and that I was being dramatic. He remained a skeptic until a few weeks later. The day after Halloween, boyfriend, our cat, and myself were in the kitchen and we heard a huge BANG. One of the night tables in the bedroom had fallen over.

It had fallen over face first. The lamp was on the floor about 6 feet away, unplugged from the socket.

I usually work from home, so the following workweek I was home alone with the cat all day. I would hear strange bangs, dishes shifting in the kitchen, and knocks on the walls. The lights in the bathroom went out and we had to rewire them. I don't know how any of that shit works, but my boyfriend was very confused as to why they all went out at once. Even HE said it was weird. One time the TV turned itself on at full volume in the middle of the night.

The cat's litter box is in the basement but he REFUSED to go down there. He would just crap and piss on the floor upstairs. One time I tried to carry him downstairs and he panicked, started squirming and crying and clawing at me to put him down so he could run back upstairs. My boyfriend's sister brought her new dog over one Saturday afternoon. He's a total sweetheart. We're chilling in the basement when the dog starts growling and barking at a corner. "I've never heard him do that before."