Taylor Van Diest

On October 31, 2011, a pretty young zombie left her house in Armstrong, British Columbia, looking forward to a night of fun. The zombie was Taylor Van Diest, an 18-year-old student, and she was planning to meet up with her friend to go trick-or-treating. She never made the rendezvous, but before she went missing, she sent her friend a saying that she thought someone was following her. It was the last anybody heard from her.

Hours later, Taylor was found beside a railroad track. Her head was bleeding, and there were bruises around her neck. She died in the hospital. The brutal murder shook the small-town community, and police were quick to nab a man named Matthew Foerster, who confessed in tears after a two-hour interrogation. The exact details of the attack are hazy, even after the trial, but Foerster claimed that he only wanted to have sex with the girl. He said he'd followed her to a lonely part of town then attacked her.

She resisted, so Foerster grabbed her by the neck and pushed her to the ground. At that point, Foerster either bludgeoned her with a flashlight or bashed her head down . He then left her in the dirt and fled to Ontario, where police tracked him down. Foerster was convicted of first-degree murder and received a life sentence.