Rebekah Gay

When he wasn't delivering sermons to the small congregation of his Michigan church, John White dreamed of necrophilia. On a bitterly cold Halloween night in 2012, White took a and went to the home of Rebekah Gay, his fiancee's 24-year-old daughter. Rebekah lived alone with her three-year-old son, and she happily let him inside—White often babysat her little boy, so it wasn't uncommon for him to stop by.

But she wasn't expecting what came next. White bludgeoned her repeatedly with the mallet before wrapping the zip tie around her neck and tightening it. Then, White stripped her down and carried her body into the woods behind the trailer.

When he returned to the house, Rebekah's toddler son was still there, waiting. While Rebekah's body grew cold out back, White calmly dressed her son in his Halloween costume and drove him over to his father's house. The body wasn't found for another 20 hours, and while police searched, White asked his congregation to pray for the woman.

White was convicted and later , but the real horror of the story is perhaps that he'd ever been free at all. In 1981, John White was 22 when he tried to kill his neighbor, 17-year-old Theresa Etherton. White invited her into his basement, and while she was looking at a race track he'd built, White stabbed her in the back. Then he kissed her, smiled, and . Teresa survived the attack with 15 stab wounds, and White spent two years in prison.

In 1994, White struck again, this time killing the woman he was having an affair with and leaving her naked body in the woods. But without evidence that he'd intended to kill her, prosecutors could only convict White on manslaughter charges. By 2007, he was again a free man, free to live his life, free to become a minister, and free to kill once more.