Martha Moxley

Greenwich, Connecticut, isn't a place you'd expect to find a body. It's one of the wealthiest burgs in the States, the place where Bush Sr. played as a boy and where a solid dozen US senators are raising their own kids. But in 1975, amid the sprawling estates, multimillion-dollar mansions, and manicured lawns, the blood-soaked body of 15-year-old Martha Moxley was found on a cold Halloween morning.

The discovery shocked the town. Martha had been beaten with a golf club so hard that , and then she'd been stabbed in the neck with one of the jagged pieces. Then, her killer had dragged her 24 meters (80 ft) and dropped her off in her own backyard. All eyes soon turned to 17-year-old Tommy Skakel, the nephew of Senator Robert F. Kennedy. According to reports, Martha had been out with her friends the night before Halloween, and they had all gone to a party at the Skakels' house. Tommy had left the party with Martha late at night, but she never made it home . . . even though their houses were only about 130 meters (450 ft) away.

Although the police had their suspect, they never made a conviction, and the gruesome Greenwich Halloween murder remained a cold case for over 16 years. In 1991, renewed investigations into the Moxley case brought it back into the public eye, but it wasn't until 1998, 23 years after the young girl's murder, that a killer was named: Michael Skakel, Tommy's brother. According to novelist Dominick Dunne, Michael had once climbed a tree and masturbated. He was infatuated with the girl. And in 2002, Michael Skakel was finally convicted of the murder by a grand jury.

But the story doesn't end there. Michael Skakel was later granted an appeal, and in 2013, he was on bail.