Chapter Eighteen

A/N
Last chapter whoop whoop.

It was right before the sun rose when the first man slipped through defenses.
Moments later, hundreds rolled through. Screams and the sound of footfall rang throughout the palace. Louis bolted upright.
His injuries were near healed but still burned if he moved to fast.
Louis threw open to see his fellow vampires fleeing. He saw a light coming from the end of the hall. Fire.
Panic flooded his veins, he to took off running. Agony ripped through is body.
He was slow, far too slow. The screams of his friends rang in his ears as he collapsed. Murmuring a prayer he grasped the cross he wore under his shirt. Tears of blood rolled down his face, he simply couldn't move. Louis felt the boiling heat of the flames wash over him.
________

Dracula was one of the few warding off the invaders. His status and incredible power made him less vulnerable.
He removed heads of those that stood in his way. Each vampire that fell, he felt it in his heart. So many kept dying.
Roaring as the pain caused blinding rage, his slaughtering quickened. His elongated claws ripped out throats of the men that tried to bring death.
He was death, and they dare tried to kill him.
Smoke filled the room, fire burned. As he had no need to draw breath he continued his massacre.
Do to others as you want them to do to you.
Dracula guessed they wanted to be killed.
______
Marscha smelled the smoke. She heard the screams and then only had one thought. Alandra.

The human was not as sickly as she had been, but she still was defenceless at the moment.
Marscha barreled down the hall. She was a blur in her haste to get to Alandra.
She broke down the wooden door to find Alandra sprawled out asleep.
Panicking Marscha shook her awake.
"Wake up! We must go!" Alandra woke shortly after that and stumbled out of the bed.
Alandra put on her slippers and Marscha pulled her out of the room.
Smoke covered the room like a heavy cloud. Alandra coughed struggling to breathe.
Marscha tightened her grip and hauled Alandra over her shoulders.

She ran down the stairs. Marscha felt the fear flow through her veins.
She heard a crack and she barely got out of the way of a falling beam, it knocked her out of the stairwell. It fell through the window shattering glass everywhere.
Alandra rolled into a heap on the stone floor. Marscha barely stood up when a man rushed out from the hall way and lifted Alandra up.
Alandra was unconscious and limp in the man's hands.
Marscha saw the glint of the metal and saw the stake.
She screamed and knocked Alandra away from the man. Pain, he got her.
Marscha watched as the man's head fell from his body.
She fell to her knees.
Alandra had awakened and caught sight of her.
The human began to cry, as she crawled over to Marscha.
Marscha collapsed into her lap.
"Do not cry for me lady, tis only a scratch..."
Marscha felt the blood emptying from her body. She could hear Alandra murmuring a no.

Marscha stared up with tears in her eyes, a single ray of morning light cut through the smoke.
Lifting her weak arm, she let her fingers be illuminated by the sun's warmth.
"I can feel it my lady... the sunlight is so beautiful."
She faded with a smile on her face.
________

Alandra's body was wracked in sobs. She held the dead body of Marscha.
Her pale from was gone with a smile.
A scream bubbled in her throat at the sheer unfairness of it all.
With a final farewell, she stood.
She grabbed the silver stake and ran down the hall.
She impaled any man that stood in her way. The screams filled her fury.

Her night gown had been singed by the flames that licked at her as she ran.
Alandra ran to Vlad as he was a creature of destruction. He stood in the center fighting off the hoard of men. He was blood stained and lethal.
She joined his side.
Together they slaughtered the men in a massacre. One of the men caught her with a knife to the stomach.
She fell, but Vlad lifted her from the ground. He clutched her tight as they escaped.

He ran with her into the forest. She caught a glimpse of the burning palace over her shoulder.
Grey smoke clouded the air.
Vlad hid in the depths of the forest in a cave were it seemed no light would ever touch it.
He laid her on the cool stone.
"You are dying."
She stared at the vampire. She was afraid.
Mustering up all of her bravery she spoke.
"Then you must not let me."

She felt his mouth on her neck then a searing pain.

THE END