Chapter 3: James Reaction

James

It's late, I'm tired and hungry and I don't think she will ever show up! I sit in the sand and look at the stars. There's a girl setting up a telescope. I walk over to her.

"Hey." I say.

"Um, hi." She says shyly. She tucks a piece of hair behind her ear. This is the girl I saw scribbling in her notebook. Her hair is long and wavy. Her light brown hair looking gold in the moonlight. Her green eyes meet mine. Her mascara is smudged everywhere. It looks like tears have met that beautiful face.

"Whatcha doing?" I ask her.

"Stargazing. I own a star." She smiles.

"You own a star?" My heart starts beating so fast.

"Yeah, it's pretty cool." She looks at me wide eyed. I found her.

"I found you!" We both say at the same time.

"I finally found you!" Renee says. She looks at me. My blue eyes and dark wavy hair. I'm about 5'11. She looks about 5'7.

"I can't believe this!" I walk closer to her.

"Can I... Can I hug you?" She asks.

"Yes!" I hug her. She hugs tightly.

"I can't believe I found you." She says into my shoulder. I let go of her.

"This is so amazing." I sit down in the sand. She sits down next to me.

"James what you said..." She begins.

"I know what I said Renee. I mean every word." I think I love this girl.

"I don't know what to tell you." She still looks shocked.

"Nothing. Just tell me you want to be friends. Tell me you want to stay friends. We can write letters back and forth still. We can still do that." I grab her hand.

"James?" She asks.

"Yes?" I look into her eyes.

"Do you love me?" Renee's eyes fill with tears.

"I do." I touch her hair.

"Say it." She tells me.

"I love you Renee." I mean it.

"James I don't know what I feel towards you. I don't know anything!" She lets our fingers intertwine.

"Renee, I know you are unsure about everything. Tell me why you're unsure about me." I ask her.

"You're a boy I met through letters! In jail! I don't even know your favorite color! You could be lying." She tells me.

"Purple." I tell her. "Would I fly all the way over here to lie to you?" I ask her.

"No." Her eyes light up.

"Exactly." I bring my face closer to hers.

"Why? Why me?" She asks.

"You're different from anyone I've ever met. You're sure of yourself. You make me believe in magic. You're 16 and you see the world through a 6 year olds eyes. You over think. You love stars and songwriting. You're you. You are Renee Elizabeth Mabbit. You're the girl I've been waiting for. You don't make me feel alone. I love you." I stare into her scared eyes.

"You're brave." She tells me.

"How much more could I be rejected?" I say to her. She laughs.

"I think that I love you too." She looks away.