Chapter 5: James in Malibu

James

I wake up to the sun hitting my eyes. I glance over at the clock on the nightstand. 9:30. Ugh. Time to get up. I roll over off the bed and go into the bathroom. I fix my messy hair and brush my teeth. I look into my eyes. I stare at myself. I could be a killer. I could've have killed my best friend. There are so many could've, should've, and would haves. I don't know what happened to my best friend. I don't even know what happened to me. I changed. A lot. I put on a black shirt, blue jeans, and my white converse. I smile. It's 10 and I'm already dressed. I hear Summer make noise.

"Mama?" Summer calls into the morning.

"Mom is asleep sweetheart." I walk out of the bathroom.

"James?" Summer rubs her eyes with her little hands.

"Yes baby?" I grab her and give her a kiss on her forehead.

"I want cereal." She looks up at me. Eyes big and blue.

"Alright lets wake up Mom and go get breakfast downstairs." I sit on my moms bed.

"Mama!" Summer screams.

"Yes! What's wrong sweetheart?" My mom wakes in a panic.

"Nothing Mom. Summer is hungry. I was thinking we could go downstairs and get breakfast. I have to meet Renee at 11." I smile at my mom.

"Alright. I'm going in my pajamas, I don't care." My mom rubs her eyes.

"Me too." Summer grabs my mom and drags her off the bed.

"Come on lazy bums, lets go." I hold open the door for my mom and Summer and walk out behind them.

"Do you have the key?" My mom asks.

"Yeah Mom." I check my back pocket just in case. Yep, got it.

"Okay let's go." My mom walks to the elevator. We go to the first floor.

"James do you like cereal?" Summer asks me as we walk to the breakfast hall. I look at the clock. It's 10:17.

"Yeah. My favorite cereal is Froot Loops" I pinch Summers cheek.

"Me too!" Summer giggles. We walk into the hall and there is food everywhere.

"Yum!" Summer runs to the cinnamon rolls.

"Ok Mom I'm gonna take off." I kiss her on the cheek.

"Alright. Tell me how it goes." She hugs me. "Love you."

"I love you too Mom." I walk out the breakfast hall.

"Can I have the key?" My mom screams.

"Yeah. Catch!" I throw the plastic card at her and it falls in front of her. She gives me a look and I laugh.

I'm thinking about where to take Renee as I walk out of the hotel and walk into the cab that's on the curb. I google restaurants in Malibu on my iPod. Spruzzo sounds good. It's an Italian joint. It has pretty good reviews. Also, the price is right.

I like the way the sky looks today. It makes me feel optimistic. I love the way the palm trees glisten against the beach and the way the waves are full of people.

I have two girls on my mind. Renee and Emily. Emily was my first love. I might only be 16, but I've seen love. The last foster home I was in taught me what it was. Emily was nothing like Renee. She was very quiet and never had much to say. When she spoke it was meaningful and important. She was weird. She always looked down and never made eye contact. She was very girly. She was hauntingly beautiful. Her eyes were green and her hair was red. She reminded me of Merida from the movie Brave. Emily had long curly red hair to her butt. She even had a slight Irish accent because her parents both have thick ones. I wonder where Emily is now. I wonder where Rob is now.