Chapter 8: Renee's Heart

James leans in. I turn my head the other way. I get up and move farther away from him.

"Renee?" James sits next me.

"You're leaving." I say.

"I know. Rob is getting married! He has until September! He's getting married on Saturday. I'm his best man. I have to go. He's been my friend my entire life. I beat the crap out of him. The least I can do is go to his wedding." James stands up and kicks the sand.

"He's getting married?" I stand up.

"To Emily." James looks at his black converse.

"What?" I ask.

"I guess they've been dating." He looks at me.

"Wow. They're so young!" I exclaim.

"Do you not understand that he only has about a month to live?" James throws his hands in the air.

"I've never had anyone in my life die. I don't know. I'm too normal and simple for you, James. I'm too shallow and I never had drama in my life until you! I've known you for two days James, two days!" I hold up two fingers.

"Renee, I don't want to fight or start drama. My life is always full of ups and downs. I meet people, they leave, I meet people and I expect them to leave, but they stay. I've never had anything steady in my life. I am not dramatic. I just speak my mind. I say what I'm thinking. Even if it is my dramatic teenage hormones talking half the time." James has a firm grasp on my wrists.

"Will you come back to Malibu?" I ask him.

"Not this summer, no." He lets go of my wrists.

"Why?" I look up at him.

"I need to stay with Rob until school starts. Since I'm moving to New York I won't be able to see him as often. School in New York doesn't start until September so I can stay with Rob until then." James starts walking back to my house.

"How could you just leave me like that? You swear you love me and you're going to leave?" I squint my eyes.

"Renee, I'm 17. I have no idea what I want or what I'm doing. I do love you. Maybe it's puppy love, maybe it's real. I don't know yet. I have no clue." James continues to walk.

"James, where are you going!?" I start walking after him. I notice the sun sparkling on my studded shoes and get blinded for a second.

"I'm going to the Marriott. I'm guessing you're not going to drive me so I'm going to hail a cab. I'm going to try to book a flight for tomorrow." James casually says.

"You're not even going to say good bye?" I feel stupid, hot tears coming to my eyes.

"Renee, I'm not saying goodbye because I will see you again. Within the next few months." James stops walking. I was walking behind him so I trip and fall over his feet.

"Thank God this is sand." I get up.

"Are you okay?" James asks.

"Yeah." James takes my hand.

"This isn't goodbye." James smiles as we walk up to the curb.

"Sure." I say.

"It's not." A cab pulls up to the sidewalk.

"You need a ride?" The cabbie asks.

"Yeah." James says.

"See you later." I tell him.

"Exactly. See you later." James lets go of my hand and kisses my forehead. He gets in the cab.

For some really weird reason, my heart breaks. This boy. This boy that has my heart, just broke it. I've never felt this way about anyone. I've never fallen so fast. I'm so confused and scared of these feelings.