Chapter 17

What do you look for in a house? A single story house so your kids don’t fall down the stairs? A pool for the summer? Big bedrooms? A big kitchen to make big glamorous meals for the ones you love? Yes! Every single one of those things is what Jake and I are searching for.

“Good morning Addie!” Cole chirped happily as I walked in to the kitchen ready for another big day of house searching.

“Morning. Why are you so chirpy?” I raised an eyebrow and looked curiously at my big brother. Lately he was always happy. Henry had started walking and he and Mel were openly talking about trying for another baby now that Henry was one.

“No reason, it’s just so nice outside.”

“Well I guess that’s a good reason to be chirpy.” I smiled and walked to the bench and grabbed a few oranges so I could make some fresh orange juice. Today I am 24 weeks pregnant which means I am 6 months! Only three months to go! So I guess that we should hurry up with the house search.

“Course it is.” He flashed me a toothy grin and left the room. He’s in a really good mood this morning.

I made my orange juice and some eggs while I waited for Jake to get out of the shower. I was already dressed and waiting for him. And he complains that I take ages in the bathroom! To entertain myself I went upstairs to Henry’s bedroom. He was standing up in his crib in his little grow-bag and he just looked so cute with his pacifier. He had bed hair and his big brown eyes were begging me to pick him up. “Good morning Henry!” I cooed and I walked over to his crib. He let go of the side of the crib and put his arms up. I smiled and picked him up, man he’s getting heavy! “C’mon let’s give mama a rest this morning!” I told him as we walked over to his closet and chose him some clothes. I folded his bed clothes and made up his crib and then we went down stairs and in to the kitchen.

I made Henry and bottle and put him in the living room. I then went back to the kitchen made him some breakfast. Henry was in the highchair when Mel came down the stairs. He smiled and pointed her before saying, “Mama!” very enthusiastically for a one year old.

“Morning baby!” Mel cooed as she walked over to the highchair. She kissed the top of my head before turning to me with a grateful smile on her face. “Thank you! It was nice to have a sleep in!”

Just as I was about to say something Jake finally came down stairs and kissed me softly wrapping his arms around me and placed his hands on my hips and buried his face in to my neck. I bit lip holding back a giggle and wrapped my arms around him. Mel giggled for me as she took the bowl of mushed up cereal from me. “I love you.”

“Aw that’s cute. Is this so I don’t yell at to you for taking six years in the shower and making us late for our first house?” I asked curiously.

He groaned but I could feel the smile on my skin. “You know me so well.” He chuckled. “I’m sorry… now let’s go!” He said enthusiastically as he let me go and took hold of my hand and started pulling me towards the door. “Bye Mel.” He grinned as he continued to pull me.

“Bye!” I waved and grabbed my bag off the table as we passed.

“Are you excited about seeing this house?” He asked as we got in to the car.

“Yeah hopefully we’ll find one today.” I grinned excitedly as I put on my seatbelt.

After about ten minutes of driving we turned up at a beautiful looking house with white wooden panels and nice big front yard with a verandah that had four wicker chairs with colorful cushions and two small tables in between. The garden was beautiful with bright green grass and leafy plants in the garden beds. The house looked great from the outside, it looked nice and big and to be honest it looked like ‘the one’. “Wow this is nice!” I commented as I got out of the car. I waited for Jake to join me and we walked over to the house and passed the for sale sign.

“Good morning!” The agent greeted us as we got to the door. She handed us a brochure of information about the house and then started to greet other people. We started to walk around firstly through the hallway which was painted white and it really made the place bright. Immediately to the right there is a large space where there were two large couches and two fluffy leather recliner chairs. There was a large wooden coffee table in the middle of the room opposite a beautiful vintage fireplace with a wooden mantel on top where it looked like the owner had placed their family photos.

It definitely made the place more homey and inviting. We continued walking through the house, down the hall where we found a large bedroom with a small walk-in closet and a connected bathroom with a big shower. This was the master bedroom. Down the hall we saw another two bedrooms. One had canary yellow walls and the other one was painted light blue and was already set up as a baby’s room. There were little airplanes and clouds all over the room and up on the ceiling little stars and moons that glow in the dark.

The kitchen was nice and big with an island in the middle with heaps of cupboard space for all the crap that Jake likes to eat. There was another living area that looked like a kids play area, the toys were stacked neatly or organized in to boxes.

By the time Jake and I had gone through the whole house I wasn’t sure about Jake but I was sold! The place was a bargain, it was beautiful and child safe for our little Baby Baker. “Jake I love this house.” I whispered as we walked through the backyard. It had a large grassed area, there was a path that leads to the back of the yard where there was a pool that was fenced off and to the side there was a shed that looked like a guy’s garage where he’d have friends over. There was a bar, a big screen TV and an old couch.

“So do I.” He murmured back as we walked inside. We walked around the house again and went back to the baby room. I put my hands on my on my belly and felt that reassuring kick. This is the one.

Two weeks later we are the proud owners of 11 Pellet Avenue.

“So when do we get to see this new house of yours?” Mel queried as we chopped up vegies for our Sunday night roast.

“Um I’m not sure; Jake might know when we’re settling. He’s the brains in this relationship.” I replied.

Mel laughed. “Really? Jake is the brains of your operation?”

“Ok so when you put it like that it sounds stupid but he knows how it’s going, I’m in charge of buying furniture and packing.” I told her.

“That makes more sense.”

“I’m not an idiot!” Jake called from the lounge.

“Could have fooled me.” Cole snickered. We heard a few slaps and then Henry started giggling. Ah family life at its best.