Chapter 18

How do you tell your child that their daddy died before they were born? These things were running through my head as I sat in the waiting of the hospital, I was due in two weeks. Mel sat on my left with Henry in her lap and Cole sat to my right holding my numb hand.

My whole world stopped when I got that phone call. Why me? Why Jake? Why us? It just wasn't fair and I couldn't stop the tears from trickling down my cheeks. We had been waiting for three hours, the longest three hours in my life. The pain of possibly losing the love of my life was more painful and heart wrenching than anything other than losing my baby. It could just not happen! I silently prayed that God would give Jake a second chance, ignore every bad thing he had ever done in his life and give him a second chance.

My head snapped up as the doors to the operating theatre opened and the doctor came out removing his gloves. I stood up with the help at Cole and looked in to the doctors eyes, he was blank, I still didn't know. My heart was going a million beats per minute and the baby was doing nervous flips. "He's a very lucky man." Every breath I had held for the past three hours just passed through my system and my knees gave out. "He'll be in intensive care until the morning but he's going to be ok." The doctor continued as he and Cole helped me back in to the chair.

Tears flowed freely, I have never felt so, happy, in love and relieved in my life! "Can I see him?"

"Yes just for a few minutes, he needs his rest." The doctor replied. "I'll get a nurse to take you to ICU." He continued and walked off to find a nurse. A few minutes later the tears were flowing more than they had since I found out that Jake was in the hospital. He looked terrible, he had bruises and scratches all over his face, his neck was in a brace and he had a cast on his leg!

"Addie," Jake croaked as he opened his eyes. I sniffed as I moved closer to the bed to hold his hand, he laced our fingers together and squeezed my hand. Right then I knew that I was the luckiest girl in the world.

"I thought I was going to lose you." I croaked back as I leaned over the bed and put my forehead on to his. He closed his eyes.

"Addie you need to be strong, you're due any day now and you're sitting here worrying about me. The doctor said I was gonna be fine so you need to make sure you stay healthy." He told me.

"But you nearly died! I nearly lost you!"

"But I'm ok now so I want you concentrate on being healthy, okay? Promise me." He said opening his eyes again.

"You know I didn't breath one breath of air while you were in that operating theatre? I thought I was going to lose you, I'll look after myself as long as you promise to get better straight away!" I ordered and he managed a chuckle.

"I'm so glad I didn't lose you." He told me and kissed me softly. "I love you."