Chapter 3

"My locker is a little place where no one else can get to. I store important stuff in there that I would never keep in my room where people might find it. On the top shelf I have a trinket box with only three things in it, an extra key to my house, a bracelet that was my cousin's before she died, and really old pennies. People don't know this, but I am really into old pennies. They are worth alot and it's just cool. The second shelf I have all my books for all my classes and two binders. One for homework and one for classes. Then the bottom area, disaster area. I have everything, ranging from gum wrappers, letters from my teachers to my parents,  to pictures of my friends. Well, my two friends. There's alot of me and Eli, but then there are some of me and Jon too. 

When I walk in first period, something just feels different. You know, that feeling you get when in the pit of your stomach. This time though it comes through me in a wave. My desk is in the second row all the way in the back and I can't be more thankful. Socializing with people isn't a strong suit, in case you haven't noticed. When the teacher walks in, he has this face like someone punched him. 

"Class, I know we are supposed to be talking about Geography right now, but today is different. If you feel that you need to leave, then please do. Me and the staff here completely understand." As he is talking I am thinking, "What the heck is going on??" Right when I was about to say that, Emily beats me to it.

"Why would we leave Mr. Edge? Geography is the only class here that sucks the least." He stares blankly at her with his eyes on hers like a snake eyeing a mouse before he eats it whole. He folds his arms, and says, "Jon and Eli Tanning  were in a bad car accident this morning and they are in the hospital." I don't even remember what he said next. My brain just shut off and all I could think about was that the two people who I love more than anything, could be gone. Without thinking I just stood up, zipped my backpack, and walked out of the room. My mind is going in a hundred different directions that I didn't even notice that I ran almost smack dab into Christie. 

"Hey watch it!" Looking her now, she doesn't even look like she is hurting over what just happened. 

"Oh sorry Christie, I guess I wasn't paying attention." Lowering my head, I can tell that she is staring me down, I shiver hoping she doesn't notice. 

"What's wrong with you? Did your rat die or something?" She squints her eyes, and puts her hands on her hips trying to tower over me but she is almost the exact same height as I am. But that comment is the last straw. I could care less if she is his girlfriend. I feel the anger building up and before I realize what is happening, i say..

"I'm sorry, do you even have a clue what is going on with your boyfriend? Or do you not even care, because if that's the case, you are even more ruthless then what I thought." She steps closer in front of me. So close that I can make out every freckle on her face. "Because if my boyfriend I would be there with him not at school. And to be honest, you don't look all that upset for someone's boyfriend to be in a coma." 

"He's not dead yet you know. Why should I be there holding his hand when he doesn't even know I'm there? We're not in love, so what's the point?" Then, she turned around and walked off down the hall. I am shocked over this whole thing. She just admitted to me that she does not love him and that his well being isn't that high on her to-do list. 

I go to my locker and grab my car keys and when I get outside, the sun hits me. The past couple minutes made me think that there was no good outside these walls. But, I have to go to the hospital and check on Eli and Jon. Over my dead body I am going to sit around until I am sitting at their funeral. I am just about ready to pull out of my parking space when I notice yet another envelope with my name on it in a beautiful font. I open it and there is that smell again! This isn't possible, unless he put it there before he left. I open it and it says, 

"Oh no! Lover boy is on his death bed. I'm sure you are just dying to go to him. I would be too if I loved him. If you do anything about that "feeling" you have, you will be lying next to him, just NOT conscious xoxo - Purple Devil."  

I cram it in the glove compartment and drive away. I NEED to get out of here. How can someone know? Did this person do this to him? How much longer is this person going to stay quiet before they hold up their promise?