Chapter 21

We pull in the garage and I unbuckle my seat belt. I stay in the passenger seat. I look into the house from the open door, opened by Liv, and all I can think about is Purple Devil waiting for me. Eli puts the car in park and turns off the ignition. He sees me blank staring and puts his hand on mine. 

"Hey, no one is in there except me, you and Liv. Even your mom left. No more evil." He winks and walks around the car and opens the door for me. 

"Chivalrous." I smile and Eli helps me out. Even though nothing was broken, my body is still full of bruises and major soreness. 

"For my girl, you bet." He closes the door and we walk in. The smell of sugar cookies overwhelm the kitchen and my stomach instantly realizes that it hasn't had any food since the accident. You couldn't pay me to eat that food at the hospital. 

"You're back! Ah so good to have you home!" Liv hugs me and I feel so much better. "I made cookies come eat." She puts three cookies on the counter and I carefully and slowly climb unto the bar stool. Eli lifts his backpack unto the bar and opens his history book. 

"So, since I've missed school for two and a half days, what have I missed Liv?" Eli asks as he puts a pencil in his mouth and opens his notebook full of notes. 

"Not too much. Oh, almost forgot. Guess who went blond!" I stuff my mouth with a cookie and look up.

"Who?" I say as cookie crumbs are flying out of my mouth. Liv and Eli both laugh. 

"Mackenzie! I saw her the other day and I had to do not only a double-take, but a triple-take. I couldn't believe it!" She scrapes leftover cookie on the stone and lays it in the sink. "But school work wise, you'll catch up really fast. We are in World War 1 now." 

"Oh ok. 

"So, have you guys got any leads on you-know-what?" My eyebrows go up waiting for an answer. Eli drops his pencil and stares at Liv who is pretending to fold a napkin. "Come on, I have been gone for two and a half days and you guys still have nothing?" 

"No we do, it's just that we didn't know if you were ready yet." 

"Ready? Ever since the hospital, I tried to bring it up and you guys would change the subject. Now, let's have it." They exchange looks and Liv throws up her hands. 

"Well alright then. You know I have been itching to tell her." She winks at me and runs up the stairs. "Let me grab my laptop she yells. 

"You told her not to tell me anything? Why?" 

"Because the way you got about the nurse and everything, I didn't want you to freak out." I hold his hand and he smiles. 

"I'm fine. I just want to get to semi-normal. And that means getting back to catching this son of a..." Eli holds his finger to my lips. 

"Let's not go all trailer-park on me now." I laugh. "Liv you coming?" 

"Yeah I'm here. Ok, so I kind of, sort hacked into the hospital database under the patient files, and looked at yours." My eyes go big and look at her in disbelief. "What? We needed to know everything that they knew. Don't worry.." She pats my arm. "I didn't leave a trace. Now, there is some type of drug called Ariodarone that is supposed to slow peoples heart rates for uneven heart beats. But in this case, you induced so much of it that it almost killed you." I take the laptop and see for myself. It's right there in black and white. 

"Why didn't the doctor tell me about this? Isn't he supposed to?" 

"That's just it. he's not a doctor at that hospital, I checked. He came in twenty minutes before you did and said that he was a new emergency trauma doctor. He had all the right paper work and a badge, he really fooled those people. But the only patient he had was you. I checked that too." Liv shrugs her shoulders.