The Surprise

Gracefully, Katerina entered the dining hall with Arya at her side. The rest of the Greyjoy family were in front of them, they were arriving late so the guests would have to watch them enter. Katerina felt uncomfortable with all of the pairs of eyes staring at her; most of them hasn't seen her since her infant years. Nevertheless she smiled shyly and tried to look pretty and ladylike- very much the opposite of her sister Asha.

Theon was in front and acting extremely cocky, Katerina though he had changed significantly since Winterfell- what had happened? What was he going to reveal at dinner? Katerina wanted to know the answers. She was forced to sit next to him at the dinner table and Arya was thankfully beside her. Balon was giving her shifty looks which made Katerina feel very sad, she knew she wouldn't get approval from him anytime soon.

On the other hand, the food was delicious and the music was enjoyable- even though there was only a small band. Katerina loved seafood but there was never a sufficient amount in Winterfell, compared to Pyke which was surrounded by the boundless ocean. Arya was gorging on her meal but Katerina found herself playing with her food. She didn't have an appetite for once which was unusual. Theon's 'surprise' was worrying her.

Majority of those present in the hall were men, and they looked like they were soldiers or Knights. Most of them had skin like leather and wrinkles on their brows. Katerina didn't like the look of them, nor did Arya. The few women that were there were either servants or engaging with the intimidating men. Although everyone was a little drunk- some more than others. Katerina herself was a little tipsy.

"Shall we dance Katerina?" Arya asked stuffing her face with a bread roll.

"I think that's a good idea, I don't feel comfortable here," Katerina whispered into the little girl's ear.

Eagerly, Arya clutched onto Katerina's arm and they swiftly made their way to the floor. Some younger men were already dancing with some of the maids. Arya's head reached Katerina's chin and so Katerina had to dance like a man. Finally, Katerina started to enjoy herself and relax a little bit; she even managed to laugh.

Slowly, the music began to slow and eventually stop altogether. Asha was piercing Katerina with her glare and beckoned for the girls to rejoin the family at the raised platform. Katerina nervously looked at Arya who was equally as anxious. Very cautiously Katerina returned to her seat, she had a strong feeling that the 'surprise' was going to be revealed.

"What's happening?" Arya asked in a quiet voice.

"I can't answer that, I don't know," Katerina replied.

"Quiet!" Balon bellowed and the music immediately stopped- the room was dead silent.

"I'll take it from here father," Theon interrupted as Balon rolled his eyes.

Theon arrogantly stepped into the centre of the raised platform in front of the table. All of the guests were gazing straight at him. Theon revelled in the limelight. He cleared his throat in a vein manner.

"As some of you know I was Ward of Eddard Stark. I can assure you I'm loyal to the Greyjoy house, after all I am a Greyjoy myself." He started, Katerina was confused.

"What is he doing?" Arya whispered.

"I wish I knew little wolf," Katerina replied.

Theon paced with his new found confidence, "I will no longer help the Starks. I am a Greyjoy, I will not serve the North anymore."

Some men cheered at the sound of this.

"I am going to attack the Starks and claim their land as my own- you will call me the Prince of Winterfell!"

The guests howled and jeered- most of the men drowned themselves in their ale. Some stood up and raised their hands upwards- women even joined in. Katerina turned to see Arya with an extreme prettified look on her face. The emotions she were feeling were overwhelming and Katerina could see tears behind her dark lashes.

"No," Katerina whispered. How could he betray the Starks after living with them for ten years?

"How, no, what, no," Arya stuttered.

"You men will be with me! Together the Iron Born will rule the North!" Theon yelled.

Katerina had to leave. She didn't care. She ran. Fast. She escaped the hall in a quick blur, her feat were moving light lightning and she zoomed through the towers of Pyke. She wouldn't go to her room, they would find her there. She knew where to go- outside up high. The balcony- yes that's where she'd go.

She was at the highest point she'd ever been, the ocean was violently raging below her several feet. Katerina went to the edge and deeply gazed into the darkness and the slick shiny waves, she was hot. Overheating. The ocean would be cold.

One long deep breath, two breaths. Katerina began to relax, the whirlpool in her mind was a calm lagoon. The waves below were comforting and the icy wind was relaxing her.

"Hello?" A voice called from behind her.

Katerina sharply turned around and saw a dark figure, a man? She didn't recognise the body shape. He was holding a small candle which a placed on the ledge by the door. Katerina still didn't recognise him in the dim light.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you, my lady. I only wanted to see if you were feeling okay," he had a sweet voice and spoke very well- he couldn't be lowborn.

"That is very kind- what is your name?" Katerina asked stepping closer to the mystery.

"My name is Eric," Katerina could see a small smile on his lips.

"Why did you follow me here?" Katerina questioned.

"I was in the dining hall and you looked very distressed. I felt as if I had to see see how you were- no one else did."

"Oh," Katerina turned around to starts into the ocean. Where was Arya?

"That sounded very odd, I'm sorry," Eric sighed as he moved to stand next to Katerina.

The ocean roared down below and a salty smell swished and lapped around the two.

"Well, I'm okay." Katerina said bluntly.

"It doesn't look like it," he replied while moving closer to Katerina.

Quickly Katerina turned to face Eric, he was tall, her head reached just below his chin. He had a slim build and Katerina saw the shadows bouncing off his delicate, sharp face.

"I'm sorry," Eric whispered.

"Don't worry."

"Why don't we meet on the morrow, in the afternoon. Where would you like to go?" Eric asked.

"Ah-um," Katerina was speechless, what did he just say?

"Why don't we go to beach- not the big one. I know a small secluded one it is most delightful."

What do I say? Katerina thought. "Yes," she replied.

"Really? I will meet you outside the castle, just past noon." Eric smiled in the darkness, and quietly left.

Lying in bed, Katerina's thoughts were racing around. She needed to know more about Eric. Who was he? Was he highborn? Despite her doubts she wanted to impress him and get to know him better.