Harrenhal

Katerina and Arya slept in a shallow niche in the vaults beneath the Wailing Tower on a bed of straw. They had water and a chunk of soap to wash with and plenty of bread and stew to fill their bellies. Hot Pie was in the kitchens, cooking brilliantly with the cooks and Gendry was scarcely seen, he was working in the forgery. Katerina spent her days cleaning the grand castle, Lord Tywin wanted to turn Harrenhal into a habitable palace- perhaps for himself if he won the war. Both the girls were fashioned in grey shift dresses with leggings underneath, it wasn't as warm as Katerina liked but, she couldn't complain.

When the Lords and Ladies dined in the great hall (which was at least three times bigger than the one in Winterfell), Katerina and Arya could go unnoticed and listen to any gossip that was being passed. The topic of conversation was usually about how King Joffrey was going to hold the throne. However one time Katerina saw and learnt about Lord Tywin's Bloody Mummers. Katerina also learnt the Robb and his Northern army were at Riverrun, Catelyn's home. Harrenhal was close to Riverrun, if only we could escape, Katerina thought. The captives were allowed to roam free around certain areas of the castle and courtyard even group of young boys, could practice fighting skills.

Sometimes Katerina would capture glimpses of Lord Tywin, but only from afar. He looked stern with his bald head and golden whiskers, he looked too bold. Katerina wondered if she should  have confessed to him that she was a Greyjoy, hell never believe you, she told herself.

One night Katerina and Arya were finished scrubbing the floors of the Wailing Tower, Katerina's hands were raw and bloody so she soaked them in water. Arya was settling down to sleep on her pile of hay, quietly she whispered her prayer: a list of names of people she wished to kill. Just as Katerina was about to lay down, a talk shadow grew closer, footsteps followed. Katerina's mind went blank, her hands cold. However the figure stopped and bent down to Arya, in the dim light, Katerina's eyes could see that the figure had a mop of red and white hair.

"A girl says nothing. A girl keeps her lips closed. A boy becomes a girl." A man's voice said quietly.

"Jaqen H'ghar," Katerina whispered, he was the prisoner on the wagon...

"A man pats his debts, a man owes three."

"Takes us to Riverrun," Arya pleaded. 

"Three lives you shall have of me, three and we are done. So a girl must ponder."

He left and Katerina settled down on the hay. The other women in the cell were muttering between themselves about the flickering light of the candle. Immediately Katerina blew it out and breathed in the burnt smell that comforted her. Arya moved closer to Katerina and hugged her arm while quietly murmuring a list of names.

The next day, Katerina was cleaning the stairs while Arya had the fun job: cleaning the hall. Katerina was bored senseless and the brush she was using had started to make her blisters bleed. As Katerina was about to give up, Arya came rushing down the stairs.

"Jaqen killed a man for me, like he said!" She looked surprised.

"Who?" Katerina asked.

"Chiswyk."

---

Confusion and clanger ruled the castle. Various different souls were rushing around completing tasks. Lord Tywin was marching at last.

Katerina had heard that Robb had won some great victory in the west. He'd burnt down Lannisport, some said, he captured Casterly Rock. Rumours flew around the halls like Ravens- only the gods knew the truth.

Weese had Katerina and Arya run messages around morning until night. Sometimes they went beyond the castle wall. Many times they planned on running but Weese threatened constantly with brutal words: "It won't be no beating, oh no. I won't lay a finger on you two. I'll save you for the crippler. He'll cut off your feet."

Weese never believed that they could read, so he didn't bother to seal the messages. However they generally were boring and ordering carts around. Arya was always engaged with finding Jaqen H'ghar, she told Katerina that she wanted another killed. Often she would leave Katerina and weave through the men and ask around. She never found him.

Soon enough Weese had another message to be delivered. On the way, the two girls saw Gendry. He was slick with sweat and dirt, he looked content forging. Katerina and Gendry shared a friendly smiled and she moved on. They delivered the message as a group of archers stomped past the girls.

"Giants I tell you- from the wall! They follow him!!"

"He's more wolf than man, all them Stark's are."

You best be prepared for slaughter, Katerina thought. She imagine Robb decapitating Lord Tywin's army and she dreamed of victory.

"Oi you two!" Weese's voice cracked like a whip. "Get down to the brewhouse and send Truffleberry this."

They ran quickly because Weese was in an angry mood. Halfway to the brewhouse, under the stone bridge between the Kingspyre and Widow's Tower, Arya stopped in her tracks. "Jaqen..." She whispered.

"They steal in on little mice feet, but a man hears." He laughed and vanished.

That night as Katerina was about to sleep, she heard something, "Weese, Dunsen, Polliver, The Tickler and the Hound. Ser Gregor, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, King Joffrey, Queen Cersei."

"That list of yours grows everyday." Katerina remarked.

"What do you mean?" Arya replied quietly.

"Don't worry little wolf. We will leave this place soon." Katerina changed the subject.

"How?"

"Trust me."

The following morning Katerina broke her fast on oatcakes. However a commotion in the yard made her stop.

"Arya what is going on?" Katerina asked.

Arya was already running to see what was happening. Weese's throat was being torn out by a dog. Blood was oozing down his front and staining the dog's snout. Katerina was shocked. Rapidly her eyes darted around the yard. She stopped when she saw Jaqen. He was staying on the steps of the Wailing tower, two fingers casually rested on his cheek.