Chapter 3

AN: Whoo, another chapter! Enjoy!

-

Chapter 3:

Three days had passed since Lirit had been so harshly introduced into his new way of life. Although fidgety and deathly afraid, he had managed to outwardly adapt to his surroundings. He did as he was told, sung his most useful songs and kept quiet when he was meant to.

Lynus was relieved that he had caught on so quickly.

But it didn’t mean Lirit was accepting of his new way of life. The boy would cling to Lynus whenever possible, even staying in his room when his emotions got too much for him. Not that Lynus could blame him.

It was late afternoon, now. The four hostages, as they were called by the guards, were hiding out in Lynus’ room. There was a small sense of comfort and reassurance when the four of them were together. And it was a rare afternoon off for them, so they had to enjoy the peace while they could.

Lynus was sitting on the bed, with Binah’s head on his thigh as she tried to drift off to sleep. Lirit was sitting next to him, so close that their shoulders were touching. The only person not clinging to him was Rahas, who instead sat glumly on the desk, peering out through the barred windows at the setting sun.

“Um,” Lirit started to say, nudging Lynus with his shoulder. “Can I ask…?”

“How long we’ve been here?” Lynus finished for him and Lirit nodded his head once slowly.

“I’ve been here for two years…” Binah was the first to answer, rolling onto her back, but keep her head on Lynus’ leg. “I think.”

Nearing three years, actually, but Lynus wasn’t going to remind her of that.

“…Eight years for me, I’m afraid,” Lynus answered. Nearly eight years to the day, actually. He kept count. He probably shouldn’t have, but he did. To keep his sanity.

“I was born here,” Rahas spat, his voice icy cold and venomous.

A look of confusion flittered across Lirit’s face, looking to Lynus to hopeful clarify what he meant. But Lynus hesitated. He parted his lips to give a vague response, but Rahas interrupted him.

“That bastard is supposedly my father.”

Lynus winced when he watched the colour drain from Lirit’s face. He was now realising that Lord Taksony’s reputation of being ruthless and cruel was quite accurate. After all, if he could abuse his own son, what would he do to others that weren’t of the same blood?

“Don’t think too much about it,” Lynus said gently, taking Lirit’s shaking hand in his. “Remember to stay useful and you’ll get through this. We all will.”

“How old are you, Lirit?” Binah suddenly asked, swiftly changing the subject.

“17,” Lirit answered.

“You’re one year older than me and the same age as Rahas,” Binah said, looking mildly thoughtful. “That means that I’m still the baby sister, huh?”

“Of course,” Lynus said as he patted her head. “And I’m still the oldest, so you better do what big brother tells you, ok?”

“Kay.”

The room fell silent after that and Lynus retreated into his thoughts as Lirit curled up against his side and Binah grasped onto his arm.

That was right, he was the oldest. He had to be strong for them. He was the only one who could heal them, who could look after them. That was why he had to be so obedient, so useful. He needed to stay alive so that the others had someone to look after them.