Chapter 5

AN: Not much happens in this chapter, really. It’s just a filler. I hope you’ll enjoy either way! >3<

-

Chapter 5:

It was just luck that the next boat departing the dock was heading to Lagaard. And that there was room for more passengers. Even more fortunate was the fact that the ship was set to depart not long after Lynus and the others paid their way on board.

No questions were asked, no lies were told. Paid to get on and keep to yourself. That was the ship captain’s motto. One that Lynus was thankful for. He also felt slightly relieved as he didn’t recognise any of those he passed on board. As the only healer under Taksony’s control, he was the one in charge of healing everyone.

He quickly learnt who was hostile and who wasn’t.

Lynus had never been so relieved to step into their cabin and feel the ship begin to sail. Watching as his three younger companions sigh with relief, he knew that they had done it. They’ve managed to escape. Not even Lord Taksony’s influence could reach them at sea…Could it?

“I’m finally going to Lagaard…” Lynus murmured as he set down his bag and staff onto the bottom bunk of a bed in their private cabin.

“When should we get there?” Binah asked as she stared out the porthole window, looking nervously excited.

“By tomorrow afternoon, I suppose,” Lynus replied. He wasn’t completely sure, though. “It’s really late now. Why don’t we try to get some rest? We’re safe for now.”

“Ok,” Lirit said, looking suddenly tired.

“I want the top bunk!” Binah suddenly announced as she scrambled onto the mattress, happily nuzzling her face into the pillow.

“Can I take the other one?” Lirit asked, turning to look at Lynus, looking hopeful.

Lynus smiled at him. “Sure.”

His smile was gentle and honest as he watched Lirit pretty much mimic Binah’s actions. The beds and the sheets probably weren’t the most comfortable or the cleanest, but that didn’t matter. The mere thought of not being inside that prison was comforting enough.

“Well, at least there are enough beds for all of us,” Lynus murmured as he sat on the bed underneath the bunk that Lirit took. He suddenly felt weary, tired – exhausted, really. Everything that had happened was starting to catch up on him. Now that they were safe, his mind wandered. Did he do the right thing? Were they going to be ok?

He lifted his gaze to look at Rahas when he felt that someone was staring at him, and found Rahas looking at him with a rather strange expression on his face.

“Rahas?”

“We need to talk,” Rahas said, rather bluntly, but his voice barely above a whisper.

Lynus sighed and felt his shoulder sag. He had been expecting this. “We’ll…do it later when they’re asleep, ok?” he requested, motioning to the others with a quirk of his head.

Rahas briefly thought of the two before he nodded. “Fine.”

Silence fell over the cabin after that. Lynus resisted the urge to lie down in his own bed and sleep. He’ll have plenty of time to rest later. Rahas deserved to know the truth. The truth about what he had done.

Hopefully…

Hopefully he won’t react too badly.

Waiting for a few more minutes, Lynus was satisfied that the two Troubadours had fallen asleep. Not wanting to wake them up with their talking, the two headed outside. Standing near the bow of the ship, Rahas leaned against the railing with his elbows, looking over the side.