Part 2; Pearls

My alarm went off. "Honey, the tea and the toasted crumpets are on the table!" Today was the first official day in the flat. "Hurry up Florence, its getting cold!" I clambered out of my bed in my childish pyjamas, and into the dining room for my breakfast. The morning light was coming through the windows so  brightly it was partially blinding. "I promise you we'll get some new pyjamas this evening. No R.S.F.A student should be wearing anything as tacky as that" But they were the most comfy pair I had,and mum had given them to me. I didn't tell him that. I just nodded, I don't like to argue with my dad. After breakfast I looked out onto the balcony when I heard my dad again, "Florence, I forgot to mention we are going to a big lunch with the C.E.O of the Tigers biggest rival club will be there, so try to make a good, yet intimidating impression." I spent a few more minutes gazing at the river. There was still hustling and bustling along the bank despite the early hours."Florence, are you getting ready yet?" "Yes dad".

I hadn't even showered yet, but I thought I should pick out my outfit first. I chose a  sleeveless black dress that went above the knees, it had detail around the neck and chest area. It wasn't complete though. I felt like I was missing something. Aha! My mothers pearls! I raced to my dressing table and I opened up my jewellery box that played a tune so special to me. I was lost in a trance of that music, seeping into a place in my heart reserved for my late mother. I almost shed a tear, I almost didn't notice the lack of pearls in the box! I screamed so loud, I probably woke up the whole of my side of the river. Where were mum's pearls? WHERE WERE MUM'S PEARLS?! AND WHY ON EARTH WAS SOME OTHER NECKLACE IN PLACE OF IT?

I knew at once it was dad. I still didn't shout," Dad, where are mum's pearls?" I tried to keep my cool." Oh, those old things? I replaced them with a brand new 24 carat necklace. An improvement I should think". No. They were mum's. I don't care about the number of carats. They were mum's. It was lucky I wasn't wearing any make-up at that moment because my mascara would have been ruined.