Chapter 18

After a couple days in the hospital, Adam was finally discharged. His mother signed him up for a therapy session even though she was not happy about it. Adam couldn't care less. He knew it would only be one time and after talking to Liam he was ok with it.

Adam hasn't been talking much to anyone. Not even Liam. He just stares into space most of the time and ignores everyone. Liam is no different. He goes to school and just ignores everyone, except for me and Carter. There have been rumors going around school. Some people are saying Liam is going through depression. Others are saying Adam is going to be sent to boarding school. Liam is neither turning down these rumors nor even paying attention to them. Carter on the other hand is trying to get people to stop talking about things they know nothing about.

Natalie and Ethan don't even bring up the whole Adam and the hospital thing. They know it's a touchy subject.

Today is Adam's therapy session though. I can tell just by looking at him that Liam is worried and nervous about today. His eyes want to be hopeful. He really wants to make sure his brother gets the help he wants. However, his eyes are just eyes. There's nothing there but emptiness. This last suicide attempt of Adam's really hit a nerve. He's not himself. I heard that the soccer coach is letting him skip this week's game and giving the captain spot to Carter for the time being. He didn't disapprove.

"Hey." I say to both Liam and Carter at lunch. They were sitting by themselves at a lunch table.

"Hey." Carter says back. Liam just gives me a week smile. "Why don't you sit down with us?"

"Sure. I'll be right back. I'm just going to tell my friends." I say and head towards to where Natalie and Ethan are sitting.

"Hey guys. I'm going to sit with Liam and Carter today. Is that ok?"

"Sure Hales. Looks like they need company." Natalie says.

"Thanks." I say and head back towards Liam and Carter.

"Hey again." I say and sit down with them.

"I'm going to get something else to eat. I'll be right back." Carter says and leaves me and Liam sitting at a table alone.

"Hey Liam." I say looking into his eyes.

"Hey Hailey. Sorry if I've been distant or anything."

"Don't be. Today's Adam's therapy session right?"

"Yep. I hope he can finally open up to someone." He says taking a bit of his lunch.

"I hope so to. Is he doing ok? Sorry. We don't have to talk about Adam right now."

"Nah it's ok. He's Adam. He keeps apologizing to me every time I see him, but other than that he's secluded. He's like in his own little bubble. My mom's not helping much either, but what's new. So how are you?"

"I'm me I guess. Nothing new."

"Hey guys what are you guys talking about? Anything news worthy?" Carter says coming back to sit with us.

"Yeah, I was just telling Liam here that I heard Laura Spelling has a thing for you." I smile at him and I heard Liam chuckle a little.

Carter looks at Liam in shock because Liam hasn't laughed in a while.

"You think that's funny uh? Laura is smoking." He says with a huge grin.

"Whatever you say man." Liam says turning back into his non-laughing self.

"Should I ask her out then?" Carter says and Liam snaps his head up and just looks at Carter.

"What? Ask her out? You never ask a girl out." Liam says.