XXXV

Diarmuid nibbled at his lower lip and did not even think of letting it go

     Diarmuid nibbled at his lower lip and did not even think of letting it go. He wasn't biting it hard enough to draw blood, but enough to cause a little stinging. He rubbed his neck and rolled his shoulders as he thought of the idea. Arturia was being odd lately, and he was just waiting for her to dismiss him officially—he did not want to cause her any inconvenience and so he thought about Camelot.

     "You see," Diarmuid breathed as he thought of the proposition. If he declined, he would not be breaking the promise he made his brother, but that would mean that he wasn't going to protect Arturia. "I do not—I...um..."

     "You are afraid of the consequences, yes?" Merlin tilted his head slightly.

     "Of course, I always am," the knight of Hibernia shrugged, "I would give up my life for Arturia, but I do not want to hurt my family."

     "Maybe you should ask your brother for his blessing." The young wizard gave a light smile as they both entered the tavern.

     Diarmuid furrowed his brows and shook his head, "I am afraid I would not have time for that."

     "I would beg to differ."

     "And why would that—"

     "Diarmuid!" He heard the oddly familiar voice of a quite annoying man. The cocky tone of voice had almost caught him off guard, if it weren't for the fact that he had noticed the blond as he stood from a stool.

     Diarmuid's eyes grew wide and he wished that the prince was not there. He sighed and relaxed his shoulders, "Gilgamesh," he nearly gritted his teeth.

     "Prince," the blond hissed as the other man had forgotten his title when addressing him.

     "What are you doing here?" Diarmuid thought it best to skip the fancy introductions and cut right to the most important part, "Did you run away from my brother?"

     Gilgamesh narrowed his eyes into slits and crossed his arms over his chest, "He came along with me, of course. That Jeanne lady and him are leaving the horses in the stable." He spoke and turned his attention to Diarmuid, "And who is this?"

     "I am Merlin," the wizard greeted, "I am Arturia's childhood friend, and you must be Gilgamesh."

     "The prince of Uruk and Arturia's fiancé." Gilgamesh blinked as he eyed both men.

     Merlin grinned and let out a little chuckle, "Fiancé? She never mentioned that. I would think she would not move on that quickly after the death of her lover." His smile slowly fading as he spoke the dreadful words. Lancelot was always such an honourable knight, and even if he knew that the violet haired man was behind the disappearance and poor state of his Prince; he never doubted the man's kindness and morals.

     Gilgamesh opened his mouth to speak but was quickly interrupted by a loud cheer and someone pouncing on Diarmuid from behind, "Little brother!" The blue haired man was basically on top of Diarmuid.