4. Confusion

Chapter Four... Confusion

"You froze time? You mean you actually... physically... froze... time?"

Once we'd gotten back to the Angel school at the end of our lesson, the others had asked how our experience was. Everyone enjoyed it, but it had left my mind racing. Somewhere in my family history, one of my ancestors is or was an Angel, or had an affair with an Angel. But who? And how could I never know?

Maybe my ancestor didn't even know. I mean, we knew that we were designed to blend in with the human population. We knew that nobody could tell the difference between us and a human except another Angel. So what if my ancestor met with an Angel, had a relationship and had someone in my family that was a relative of mine?

And how far down my ancestry would I have to look to find them?

But that was the complicated part.

For now I'd just informed my fellow Angels that I had frozen time, and that it was the rarest Angel ability there is. In fact, it was so rare that it wasn't spoken about. Yet somehow I had inherited it without knowing. And I had just spent an hour talking to Niases about the ability. He was in disbelief himself, confused as to how an Angel could have gotten away with something like that.

"Look, it just happened," I tried to explain. "I've just spent an hour talking about it, I'd rather not have to explain myself again."

"No, we think it's awesome," Danielle grinned. "I mean, it's so rare! I've heard about it. Our Teleportation teacher was telling us all about it the other day. It's pretty cool, you know. It only comes from the ancestor of an Angel."

"That's my point," I sighed. "Who?"

"You mean who in your family is an Angel?" Matilda asked.

"Exactly," I frowned. "As far as I know, nobody is. But of course, now I have to find out. And I want to, so that's the main thing."

"You have to?" Danielle questioned.

"Well, if I find out where the ancestor came from, then I can trace it back through the school and learn my entire family line," I confessed. "I don't have to. I want to."

"You're doing it for your own satisfaction," Harry smiled. "I get it."

"Does it seem stupid?" I asked.

"No, because if I had an Angel ancestor I'd wanna know who it was," Danielle said, laying down across the floor. "Today we got the Angel experience. And you learnt something about yourself, Rubes. It's all part of life, only we get to live forever."

"But how do I find out who my Angel ancestor was?" I questioned, frowning. "It all seems so hard. My mom wouldn't know, or my dad. Not to mention I can't ask them."

"I reckon it's one of the teachers," Rowan spoke up. "I reckon that's why it's forbidden. Because your ancestor is a teacher."

"So impossible," Matilda frowned. "Not only are teachers unable to reproduce, but they are far too important. Other Angels would have noticed if a teacher had gone missing and had an affair."

"Not necessarily," I said, walking over to a window. "Teachers have as much free rein as any of us. People can't see us for what we are, but we can see each other, right? Well, maybe the person was caught. Maybe my ancestor is dead."

"You're forgetting that Angels can't die, Ruby," Harry sighed.

"All of the Angels from the world disappeared at the time Death retired,"I said, still glaring out the window. "The only ones that remain are the teachers. What if my ancestor was one of them? I could find out who they are then."