June 3, 1994

June 3, 1994

I don't know where to begin. I can't put it into words how I feel. All those people killed in the church and school. They didn't even see it coming, neither did I. How could one be so heartless, so cruel? We aren't safe here anymore and I fear if we will be safe anywhere at all. We are putting Elie and Josiane in danger so Daniel and I have decided that it is best if we leave before anyone comes and tries to murder us all. Elie told us to at least stay till night fall so we could try to go when people were asleep.

Didi was so happy to be out of the closet and was giddy at the thought of going outside. Elie gave us some extra clothes he found in his room and Josiane gave us a sack of food from their garden. "Thank you so much. You have kept us alive and we will forever be in your debt," I smiled and hugged them. Daniel wish them good health and we stepped outside for the first time in three months. Fresh air surrounded us and crickets could be heard. Even under all the circumstances, I was elated.

We walked for most of the night all the way to my sister's husband's house. Once we got there Gervais, my brother in law, welcomed us with open arms. I was so happy to see him and him to see me. We grew up together and were the best of friends. He was so happy when he found out that we were alive and well. When we got inside we noticed a whole bunch of food in the pantry. "Oh my goodness, Gervais how in the world did you get all this food?" I asked astonished and he smirked. "I have always had a fear about natural disasters, so I have all ways put away food every month for a few years. I guess I am pretty smart, hu?" Gervais proclaimed and I jump with glee. "You are truly amazing," I marveled and Daniel laughed. "So where can we stay?" Daniel asked and Gervais showed us to the basement. Once down there, I froze. There were about fifteen people down here, and they all looked over to us and smiled. "I try my best to help and am grateful that I can do so. Here are some blankets and pillows. You can stay over in that corner over there," Gervais pointed to a vacant part of the basement. "Thank you so much," Daniel gave a heartfelt smile and I hugged my Gervais. "Everyone this is my little sister and her husband and daughter. Make them feel at home. Dinner will be served soon," Gervais shouted for all to hear, then disappeared upstairs. Many people said hello and asked us about what was happening up in the world while we walked to our spot. They were so kind to us and Didi started to talk with some kids her age. This isn't so bad after all.