Two

The man began softly, "Your fiancé, Light Yagami, was Kira. You know that. He killed criminals, many who had nothing to look forward to anyway. They shall be reborn and reborn again as the cycle goes."

"What does this have to do with anything?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Some of those who were killed as a direct result of Kira were innocent however and still had a fate. My employer wishes to return these people to the land of the living. Some of the innocent can be spared and left to return as the cycle repeats. But others, like yourself, are to be returned.

So it wasn't a dream.

"I don't understand?"

"You are aware of the book Light used."

"Yes, the Death Note."

"There something that can reverse the effects of the Death Note. The Death Eraser. Use it to erase any name in the Death Note and they shall be brought back. My employer was like you, a victim of Light's killing spree. Somebody had brought them back. They had no idea why but they believe their purpose is to do the same."

"But, doesn't everyone believe I'm dead. I even turned myself in as Kira before..."

"We are working on returning you to your life and as for you turning yourself in," he looks down, "Light wrote his own note. He confessed to being the true Kira before he-- He killed himself."

I shook my head. My face was hot with tears. A thought popped into my mind, "Can't he be brought back? Can't he?"

"____, you have to understand our purpose. Even if we could bring him back we wouldn't. He deserves the eternal suffering he brought upon himself."

"'Even if you could?'"

"The Death Eraser only works on those who's names were written in the Death Note. I'm sorry, ____."

I sobbed quietly into my hands. The man left soon after.

I have no purpose in this world. No job. No life. No family. I have a second chance but for what?