chapter 12ㅡtears

Mitch's POV

I couldn't move.

Tori met my eyes and she put a finger to her lips. I shook my head and mouthed, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

She held out her hand and threw the knife.

It passed me and Kirstie harmlessly and a few minutes later, I heard a yelp behind the metal tree a few yards away. Scott picked up his dagger. "SHOW YOURSELF!" He yelled.

Jeremy slipped out. His arm was bleeding. "I...I was just coming to greet Mitch, that's all! Then someone threw a knife at me!"

Scott lowered his dagger. "Okay." He said.

I looked back at the woods and saw Tori was gone. I blinked.
She threw a knife at Jeremy and not me?
Why?

Jeremy waved at me. "Hi Mitch. Are you still assuming I'm the bad guy?"

I didn't answer and Scott put his arm around me. "Let's not talk about it." He said. "We have to get together the hunt before it gets too dark."

"Hunt?" I asked.

"You see this tent and everything?" Scott asked me as he pointed at Avi's tent and supplies.

"Yeah?"

"They hunted for it. That's how they got it."

Lindsey nodded. "There are silver packets hanging from the metal trees. Inside the packets are the supplies. Food, tents, chairs, water, everything."

"So you have to hunt for supplies?"

"Yes."

I turned to Alex. "You guys hunted already?"

He smiled. "Yes. And of course, you're coming with us. You're one of our crew." He faced the others. "Right?"

"Absolutely." Troye called and Kirstie nodded.

"You can't let this girl alone in the woods." Tyler laughed. I smiled.

"Oh that's very kind of you. But-"

"No buts." Scott kissed my cheek. "You're coming, rather you want to or not."

He seemed believable.
And I wanted to believe in him.
With all my heart.

"Then I'll be happy to."

4 hours later

I sat alone on a metal tree.
Everyone else had gone to sleep in their tents and I didn't have one. Scott offered to share his, and I obliged, but I couldn't sleep.

I stared out into the gleaming horizon.
The metal was shining against the moonlight and it was a beautiful sight. I sighed.

"Hey."

I didn't have to turn turn around to figure out the owner of the voice. I already knew.

"Hi Scott."

"Why aren't you in bed?"

"Why aren't you?"

"Couldn't sleep." He walked over. "May I join you?"

I didn't answer, but I scooted over. He smiled.
He sat, leaning on to the tree. My feet dangled next to his ear and he grabbed it playfully. I laughed quietly.

"Mitch.." He said after a while.

"Yeah?"

"I..I'm sorry I didn't believe you. I actually.. I thought Jeremy was lying too. I know this sounds stupid. I know it sounds like I'm just defending myself. But it's true.