Chapter 2: Better

"Dyvy, stay close," Mom warned as she pulled her son through the trade center.

"Pretty lady!" someone whistled, "Would you want a hat to complement that beautiful dress of yours?" 

Mom stopped, causing Dyvahn to lose balance and nearly fall over. She smiled at the man and pulled out some trade papers, eyeing the bright purple hat in his hand. Dyvahn sighed and easily slipped his hand out of his mother's grip as she bargained with the trader. He slipped into the ocean of people and looked curiously at the traders as he moved along. He smiled as he recognized his favorite trader's cart. The boy slipped out of the moving traders and into the cart. He pulled himself up so he could barely peer over the tabletop. 

"Hello, young man!" Dyvahn's favorite trader greeted him.

Dyvahn grinned, "Hello, sir!"

"I think it's someone's birthday soon..." the man scrubbed his beard.

Dyvahn raised his hand and waved at the man, "It's mine, Chad; it's mine!"

Chad grinned, "Did you convince your dad to get you a sword?"

The trader graced his hand along his multiple trading items. He picked Dyvahn's favorite up, the one that slightly curved at the end, and smiled. 

"What's cuh...cahn-n--convince mean?" Dyvahn questioned.

Chad chuckled, "Is your dad going to get you a sword?"

Dyvahn shrugged, "I hope so."

"Say, where are your parents?" Chad glances throughout the crowd.

Dyvahn shrugs again and stares at the sword, mouth watering for adventure. 

Chad smiles. He sets the special sword aside and shuffles items around in the trader cart at his waist. 

As he shuffles he asks, "How old are you turning?"

Dyvahn smiles wide and shows five fingers to the man.

He grins and pulls out a small wooden sword and hands it to Dyvahn, "A special sword for a special five-year old."

"How much is it?" Dyvahn asks.

The trader shook his head, "It's free; it's a present from me."

Suddenly, someone grabbed Dyvahn's wrist and pulled him aside with an aggressive jerk, "Dyvahn! What do you think you're doing wandering off like that!"

Dyvahn glanced at Mom's new purple hat and smiled shyly, "Well, you knew I was going to be here anyways, right?"

Mom frowned, but didn't add to their argument. Dyvahn grinned; he knew he was right. 

"Now put that back so we can get to Emily's house!" Mom glanced at the wooden sword.

"No worries, ma'am; that's his free of charge," Chad told her.

Mom sighed, glanced up at the sun, then shook her head and dragged Dyvahn into the herd of people.

"Bye, Chad! Thank you!" Dyvahn yelled to the trader before he lost sight of him.

Mom stormed through the crowd, deep in thought. Dyvahn wanted to apologize to make her happy again, but he wasn't sure what to apologize for. 

"You really shouldn't have gotten that without me," Mom shook her head.

Dyvahn swung his wooden sword around, "Why?"

"Because I would've gotten you something better somewhere else."

"Why? This is good."

"No it's not. Dad won't like it."

"Why not?"