Chapter 3: Battle

"Dyvahn? Where are you going?" Mom questioned as the boy attempted to sneak out the door.

"Just to Ryan's... why?" 

"You haven't actually gone to Ryan's in four months; I've been thinking that's quite too far of a walk for you anyways."

"Mom! I'm eight now!" 

"Eight is not very old!" Mom slammed a pan on the counter.

Dyvahn closed the door and walked back into the house with an exaggerated sigh. 

He sat at the dinner table, "Mom, Ryan gets to go wherever he wants."

Mom shook her head, "Where Ryan lives is much different than where we live, and you've known that since you were very little."

Dyvahn shook his head in protest, "It's not that different, honest! It's all the GrasslandTribe, isn't it?"

"..." Mom paused, "You know how the houses look different?"

"No," Dyvahn feigned. 

"How about how their things are smaller, or not as shiny?" 

Dyvahn shook his head.

Mom sighed, "Where are you going, Dyvy?"

"To see Chad! Sometimes he let's me practice with one of his older swords!" Dyvahn  announced, excited.

Mom gasped, "Dyvahn, I told you to stop playing with weapons!"

"Fine! I'll just walk around the trade place then."

"That place is too busy to walk alone anyways," Mom sighed, "You know your dad especially won't appreciate you going around like that."

Dyvahn shrugged; he turned towards the door.

"Dyvy, I said no!" Mom exclaimed, frustrated.

"Just a little bit!" Dyvahn pleaded.

Mom exhaled, "I'll be telling your dad later..." she stated under her breath.

Dyvahn shrugged and strutted out the door. As soon as the door closed behind him, he dashed forward with all the speed he could muster. He didn't want Mom to attempt to stop him, so if he was already too far away she wouldn't even try. The blades of the tall grass by which the GrasslandTribe got its name smacked against his legs as the boy ran. He giggled and glided his hands along the grass as he ran on. He opened his arms wide and pretended to fly like a dragon. He pretended the grass was really the trees of the Amazon Groves as he flew above them. He imagined he was a FireDragon and wondered if he could burn the trees, but a JungleDragon flew up to him and stopped him. She was a beautiful bright green dragon with--

"Ow!" Dyvahn exclaimed as he collided with something and fell over.

"Ouch!" A girl moaned.

Dyvahn rubbed his forehead and looked up at the blurry blue sky.

A girl towered over him, rubbing her head also. She was about his age, maybe younger with rosy cheeks and green eyes. She had short brown hair that lightly greeted her shoulders.

She let out an exasperated sigh, "Well aren't you going to apologize!"

Dyvahn grunted and sat up, "I always go this way! You should apologize first!"

The girl sat next to him and he scooted farther away, uncomfortable. She scooted closer to him with a giggle and watched him scoot away again.

She suddenly frowned, "I'm running away."