Chapter One

Chapter One-

The woman below who was working in the training room kept up the beat. Her kicks would hit the punching bag with a hard thud. It would jump back and when it came back it was hit again. Those who were in the room watched with a smirk asking, ‘Who pissed her off today?’. She was in ‘the’ mode. This was used to express her focused attention on her work out of the day. She being, Payton Lucca, was toned and tanned, mainly from her Italian heritage. With her dark gray eyes, she had the mirrored image stare down perfectly. Her hair, a deep, almost ash brown, was usually up in some form or another.

The boys, as Payton liked to call the men she knew at the gym, had learned long ago not to make any advances toward her. One had been brave enough to touch her and that had been the final straw. She had challenged the ‘brave’ one to a match on the mat. The looser had come out with bruises and the ability to not walk straight, with Payton grinning like a maniac at her achievement.

“Payton!” She looked up toward the viewing room above the gym, toward the voice calling out to her. Her deep gray eyes caught the eyes of her best friend, Marcus. The younger son of the Don. His own olive green eyes caught hers, though his soft brown hair hung in front of his face.

“Father wants you. Now.” He spoke down to her in a tone that left no room for argument. He waved her toward the door before turning and heading back to whatever he had been up to.

“But I wasn’t finished,” she whined as she started removing her gloves and wraps. Quickly, she grabbed her net towel and water, waving by to the boys at the training room. Taking a long swig, she headed out of the gym, down the path toward the Palsco house.

Knocking once, she stepped back and waited as she wiped the sweat from her face.

“Enter Payton.” She heard Leo call to her. When he called her Payton, she knew this was about business. When it was personal or just because he had always called her ‘Cookie’. Due to an incident a long time ago when she had tried to steal the cookie jar. That had been her first lesson, ‘Don’t steal unless you know you won’t get caught.’ She knew this to be true and learned quickly.

Slowly, she opened the door and entered. Bowing in respect to Leo, she let her eyes capture everything around her. Marcus stood at the window and two other members stood before Leo. Tommy Marcello was in his mid thirties and pretty cold. He was a quiet man that kept to himself. Though Payton never really cared for him, she usually stayed out of his way. Alex Waters was in his forties and Payton’s trainer. The Don had requested Waters to train Payton as she decided to pledge her loyalty. Waters had been with the Don for several years and proved to be a loyal friend through the years of hardship. With a quick wit and sharp intelligence, he proved to be an asset to the 'family.'

“Ahh. Payton. Sit. Sit.” Leo smiled, waving his hand at the chairs. “I have exciting news. But first, Payton did you and Tony D. get the shipment handled?”

“Yes, boss. The Yukuza of Section nine, Japan, signed the papers and forwarded the money on the dot. Though we had a slight problem but I fixed it.” Payton replied, a devious grin gracing her face. Marcus turned away from her hiding his grin while Leo smiled knowingly at her. Marcello only looked at her with a half horrified, half shocked expression, though most wouldn’t know how to read his expressions; she had learned to read even the hardest people.

“What exactly happened?” Leo asked, drawing out the words slowly, expecting the worse. Payton only shook her head and smiled slightly, looking more like a smirk.

“They thought I was your common wench. Or Marcus’. But the situation was handled. No worries. Even the Don personally apologized for his behavior.” Payton replied, sitting back in her chair and resting her eyes. Feeling quite smug with herself, she couldn't help but let the smirk stay in place.