Ten Years

WEEKLY WRITING CHALLENGE- Feb 4, 2016

This week, I want reminiscing. Flashbacks, remember when's, or not agains!

Use your artistic license and make it so!

Word minimum is 200 for poetry, 1200 for a chapter or one shot.

=====================================================================

She glanced at her findings one last time before hitting send. Her report going to the team that had begged for her assistance and Owen ,of course. She looked down at Max, love and affection shining for all to see, as she powered down the laptop and closed the lid. "Do you know Max its been ten years since you and I first bumped into one another." Max's tail thumped happily in response. Getting up carefully her fingers ghosted over the picture frame of the ten of them. The boys in their tuxes, her in that beautiful white gown. "You know Max, somedays it feels just like yesterday," a cold shiver ghosting down her spine,as she remembered that first year. Walking over to the bed and carefully maneuvered herself to lean against the headboard. She looked over at Max and patted the bed,"Come cuddle and keep me company,Max." Max tipped his head sideways with a look that said I am not getting in trouble.                                                                                                                                        "Come on Max, it's just you and me here. I won't tell ,if you won't." with that Max jumped up and snuggled in.

"Thank you, Max. You know how I despise mandatory bed rest," She said as she started petting him. Looking down at Max she continued,"I know, I know it is better for the babies and me, but it's days like today when everyone is somewhere else I get frustrated, lonely, and bored. Gosh,I hate mandatory bed rest." 

 She looked across the room to the photo on the desk. The love in her eyes shining bright. "Ten years,Max. Ten years." she could feel the emotions welling up from inside her.                                    "That's the day I took my first breath,my first steps towards my real family. The only family I ever want, no need. They are like the air I breath. They are what keeps my heart beating and makes it whole. They are a part of me, I am a part of them, and they are each a part of each other. No one understood that.

Taking a deep breath trying to get her emotions under control," stupid hormones," she thought. She continued to stoke Max's fur, taking comfort in it, as her emotions boiled over spilling out her eyes and running down her cheeks. "No one understood," she repeated, "Not then, not at first. It took so much to get to that one beautiful moment in time," pointing to the wedding photo on the desk.             "That terrific and sometimes terrifying first year, just like a roller coaster." She took a moment to dab her eyes and clear her nose to be able to breath better,"You know Max, I am so glad the Hendricks and McCoy won't see the light of day till they are old and gray. As that mission was winding down the Academy wound up. First the training, which I excelled at, then the endless string of bird teams they threw me into. The council tieing Owen's hands so he couldn't do crap about it. Thank God for Dr. Roberts, after that last horrific mission."

 She paused to let a cold shiver of remembrance run threw her before continuing,"I still don't know how I made it to the hospital that night. He treated all the wounds and called Uncle before calling the boys. From what I've been told, after the explosion, the eleven of them put their heads together and came up with a plan. It worked. They left us alone after that."

 A smirk stretched across her face,"Course it may have had something to do with the twelve of us walking into that meeting ready and willing to quit the academy right then and there. Thank God, Dr. Roberts plan worked, they left us be after that." Dabbing her eyes and clearing her nose again.  She let out a yawn, snuggled down to take a short nap.