Chapter 6: A New Mission

"So, I hold it with both hands and I pull once I've aimed?" Phoenix asked.

Adam nodded. "Yup. Remember to spread your feet to shoulder width, and step forward a bit with your dominant foot."

Phoenix nodded and pointed the gun at the target and got into her shooting stance. She felt Adam's hands wrap around her waist as he adjusted her stance and her face heated up. She was glad that she was facing the same way as Adam so he couldn't see her blush.

"Keep in mind that there will be a--"

BANG!

Phoenix stumbled backwards into Adam's arms a fraction of a second after the bullet flew out of the barrel.

"--recoil," Adam finished wryly, looking into her chocolate-brown eyes.

She blushed even harder as she looked up into his vibrant green ones.

He righted her and scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment. "Um, yeah. There's a recoil, so just be prepared for that."

Phoenix nodded shyly. God, he was hot. The way his long, wavy blond hair fell into his green eyes and his incredible personality...

When she noticed that he knew she was checking him out, she quickly looked away and felt her cheeks go burning hot.

She did a few more rounds and looked to Adam for approval.

He, much like her, was not paying attention to her shooting. His face turned an adorable shade of pink.

Much to Phoenix's dismay, a small giggle escaped her.

He walked up to her suavely. "Is something funny?"

Phoenix pressed her lips together to prevent herself from smiling. "Nope. Nothing at all."

"You sure?"

"Positive."

Adam was pretty tall, so Phoenix had to tip her head up slightly when he came closer since the top of her head just about reached his lips.

The thought of Adam's lips brought a flush of blood rushing to her face, and she looked down at her feet.

He was about a foot away from her.

Phoenix's heart began to beat quickly, and she wondered if she had developed feelings for Adam before she went into metamorphosis. She thought that she would have had to be pretty different for her not to be attracted to him.

Their eyes met and she sucked in a tiny breath.

A knock on the door startled them both.

Nova came in and stopped when she saw how close Phoenix and Adam were. "Oh, sorry. Am I... Interrupting something?" A sly smile crept up her face.

Adam cleared his throat and stepped away from Phoenix. "No. No, what's up?"

Nova smirked. "If you're not too busy, we're heading to the briefing room. We've got a new mission."

"Alright. We'll be right there."

Nova walked out, leaving Phoenix and Adam standing awkwardly next to each other.

"I guess we should go to the briefing room, right?" Phoenix stated, her cheeks turning pink from being caught in such an intimate moment.

Adam nodded and rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah. Let's go."

As the two of them walked to the briefing room in silence, Phoenix pondered what could have happened if Nova hadn't interrupted them. Would he have kissed her? She scolded herself for such thinking. They had only known each other for a couple weeks. They hadn't done anything together except for training. And that was, most of the time, purely training. There was the rare occasion where they'd get into a situation like the one that just happened, and the same feelings had risen up in her chest.