Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Oliver's POV

Axel's basement lounge was the last place I wanted to be. All the teenagers who lived in the Reaper estate were down here, and I felt like I was stuck inside the cage at a zoo.

Zoe had wheedled me into following her, after dinner, and had proudly delivered me to James before fucking off to her girlfriend's side. I was forced to interact with everyone in the lounge as James introduced me to everyone, and I had only just sat down at the sofa for a brief moment of peace as I pretended to check my phone.

My restrained annoyance at being forced to socialize quickly turned into curiosity as I sat on the couch, and, as an outsider, watched everyone interact.

The sense of community that exuded from everyone was surprising. There were strict social hierarchies that I could perceive, but despite that, people were generally open and casual in a way that I wasn't expecting, even between people I wasn't expecting.

Everyone in a group would quiet down when Van spoke, and his word was law as he ordered a handful of guys to bring another sofa and some popcorn downstairs. And in turn, Van listened to Axel. When Axel came back after looking around and asked if there were chips, Van asked someone to bring down the chips, and they listened. Two of Axel's exes listened obediently and without complaint when he ordered them off a chaise to move it, and only sat down again when he indicated it was okay to. The efficiency of the hierarchy was fascinating.

Of course, it all fell apart when there wasn't anyone in charge. Once Van and Axel turned away, it was clear how some cliques got together and shunned others. One of Axel's exes was publicly ignored by a group with the other when she tried to join in, and the second hand embarrassment would be hard to bear if I cared about her. She was quickly pulled into another group by Hannah, who gave a restrained dirty look to the people of the first group, and Hannah quickly made her feel welcome, resolving the situation.

It was interesting how some people had more influence than others. I wondered how that was determined. Hannah was younger, but clearly led the conversation and had more say than others. She was Axel's sister and Mr. Reaper's daughter, which of the two had more sway with the group of teens?

I felt a tap on my shoulder and was met with Luca's playful look. He jerked his head to the side and left, giving me a look indicating I should follow.

I frowned and waited a moment, and then realized James, Van, Axel, and some others were gone too. I followed Luca, and as I expected, the group of people who I actually knew, at Axel's place, were sitting in a smaller room to the side.

Luca was leaning over the back of the sofa that Ella was on and was teasing her, judging by the blush on her face. Seriously, LUST was annoying. When would they get together and spare us all from the endless flirting?

I felt a hand around my wrist, pulling me into the room, and, taking over for the distracted Luca, James happily pulled me in. Everyone was sitting in a loose circle, and I quickly chose a spot that was safer than the one by Axel.

"Oliver!" Mila greeted as I sat beside her. Axel glared at James, who was now sitting beside him, and James gave him a sheepish look.

"Hey, let's play truth or dare!" Luca suggested immediately. There was a round of agreement, and then I felt everyone turn to me expectantly.

No way in hell, was my initial response. Who the hell wanted to play truth or dare? Judging by the shifty eyes, their excitement, and continuous eye contact with each other, this was predetermined. They had a plan, and Van, who was quiet, sitting near Axel, seemed to be in charge.