Chapter 8

The next day, Samantha had very quickly been taken to Westminster (as there was a nice park there) with Crawford Starrick for a picnic. While Samantha might have found the idea of a picnic to be romantic, she would prefer a different partner. She had to give him some credit though, the setup was rather nice although too perfect for her liking.

The utensils looked so frail and were a pristine silver color, the teapot and its matching cups and plates were decorated with faint pink roses that bloomed on gold stems. Everything looked like it was all just for show rather than to actually be used.

"I hope you'll enjoy the tea." he smiled kindly to her, his cup firmly in his hand with no fear of breaking it. "It was imported from China."

"Oh?" She was no expert on tea; she liked tea and she trusted Teavana to give her the best of the best. "Is it an oolong tea?"

"It is." He smiled, rather pleased that she could identify it. He eyed her slightly; since his discussion with Lucy Thorne, he had been wondering what he should do with Samantha.

Pearl was his true love, he had no doubt about that, and Samantha was what he considered to be a concubine of a sort. Pearl was everything a man could want for a wife; smart, cunning, entirely presentable to the higher class. Samantha came off as more loveable and quirky, her body was not one he'd allowed another man to gaze upon if he could have that say. She did have aura around her that said she could be very smart if put in a situation that called for it.

Perhaps he could propose a courting; it wasn't something that was entirely fashionable anymore but, he could see where marriage would frighten her away. He just needed to plan it properly and act upon it soon.

Samantha daintily took a sip of the tea, the silence was unnerving and she couldn't think of anything to say. Anything she had on her mind involved Jacob and the talk they had last night. He had concluded that the world he lived in was fictional to Samantha and that somehow, she knew the story. She confessed that he wasn't wrong but, made it clear she didn't know much about the actual future events that played in the story (it would have been too hard for her to explain the concept of video games to Jacob so, she settled for saying it was an elaborate novel series. There were Assassin's Creed novels anyways).

"I understand that you're quite fond of novels." Starrick finally said, breaking their silence. She jumped when he said that, she almost assumed that he could read her mind. "Might I ask what kind?"

"Romance and fantasy." She answered quickly, "I use to like mysteries when I was a child."

"Interesting." He said softly, "What do you enjoy doing for pleasure?"

She couldn't help but, think of that sentence in a dirty way. She totally blamed modern society for that. Luckily, she didn't make it obvious that she was internally laughing her ass off and managed to name off some old activities she liked to do when she was bored. The list included reading, writing, and baking sweet treats. There was obviously other things she loved to do like playing video games, surfing through Youtube, going to the movies, and other modern activities that would totally just confuse the Grandmaster and get her into some serious shit. That being said, she made sure to keep it to herself.

Starrick seemed rather intrigued and started asking more personal questions like family members, her educational career, where was she specifically from. She felt like she was being interviewed for some big company.

֍

Jacob silently watched Samantha and the Grandmaster, he wanted nothing more than to race over and kill the high ranking Templar. Normally he'd attribute that desire to the fact that it was a Templar, the Grandmaster even, that was so close and unsuspecting. However, he was conflicted on that idea. One part of him said that he was eager to kill the root of the problem for the Assassins, the other said that he wanted to whisk Samantha away from the man.