Chapter 17

Crawford Starrick was a controlling man; he liked power and control and despised disorder. His competitive nature kept him in power of the weak, his desires always achieved his goals. Yet, despite this, he could not get the girl he sought. This was the first time in his life that he was denied by anyone or anything. She should have succumbed to his wealth, to his power! All women longed for a handsome man with immeasurable wealth at his disposal; Samantha ignored his advances, spurred his wealth, and chose a man who could not provide for her.

He was furious, beyond furious even, and he wished for nothing more than revenge on Jacob Frye. For killing his men, for killing Pearl, for stealing Samantha from his grasp. Jacob Frye will die by his hand and he would make Samantha his bride, whether she liked it or not.

He had a plan to achieve this; it was rather dirty and not something he'd usually do but, for her, he'd make an exception. But, first, he needed that Shroud.

֍

Samantha and Jacob returned to the train while Evie and Herny were still out and Anges was out on her usual errand run. Distantly, Zenin and Jackie could be heard arguing over something so Jacob chose to go out and deal with a few more Blighters before calling it a night.

"I'll be back after dusk." He smiled at her, placing a gentle kiss atop of her head, "Don't wait up for me."

Although embarrassed by his kiss, she smiled back and watched him leave. After giving her the gift, he spent some extra time with her teaching her how to use it. She wasn't too familiar with mechanics and everything but, he said she did well enough. She had to admit that she really did like the attention he gave her when he wasn't being a moody Brit. He was nice to her and, clearly, wasn't trying to force her into accepting his feelings. If only he could interact with her a bit more so she could figure out her own confusion with him. Maybe then she could honestly say she loved him too and not question the words.

Shaking her head, Samantha headed off to where she could hear her two besties fighting with each other. She could only hazard a guess as to why they'd be fighting, but she'd rather not. There was actually much those two could argue over, from stepping on Zenin's heel to refusing a hug from Jackie. They really reminded Samantha of a married couple when they fought and telling them that really pisses them off even more.

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Why not?!"

"Because I said so!"

Samantha poked her head into the carriage and eyed the arguing pair. She noticed that there was a pot of tea brewing beside them and that it was being neglected by the girls. She walked into the room and removed the kettle from the small fire it was on. She turned to her friends, who were still too preoccupied with their argument to notice her, and she cleared her throat to get their attention.

"What on earth could you two be fighting about now?" She asked, rolling her eyes when they turned their heads in surprise. "Did the sun set too soon?"

"Shut up!" Zenin snapped, she was partially red in the face and she looked like they might have really been going at it. "It's none of your business!"

"Oh good." Samantha smiled, ignoring the tension like she always did. "And it's nothing important either because we need to talk. All of us."

Jackie tilted her head in confusion, "What do you mean?"

Samantha refused to give them any clue as to what they needed to talk about. Instead, she pointed toward the door and asked them to go find Christina so they could all talk. Upon making this gesture, the duo noticed that something was on Samantha's right arm. Something they had only ever seen on Evie and Jacob; Not even Henry wore one.