Chapter Nine

Rainpaw and her mentor, Ashpool, we're nearly to camp. Rainpaw knew something had disturbed her mentor, but she wouldn't ask. Maybe it's something only real medicine cats can understand, Rainpaw reasoned.

Before they arrived, Rainpaw knew the camp would be dreary and gray. She flicked her tail to Littlepaw and Hailpaw and went to the medicine den.

"Hey, Rainpaw!"

Rainpaw turned around. Littlepaw had trotted up to her, tail held high. "How was the Moonpool?"

Rainpaw flicked her tail. Should I tell him about it? She glance quickly at Ashpool, who was heading towards Petalstar's den. She looked at Littlepaw again.

"It was good." She meowed simply. He nodded. "Good." Rainpaw watched Littlepaw slip into the apprentice's den. She turned to the medicine den and slipped inside.

☆☆☆

Rainpaw was sorting herbs when she heard Ashpool come into the den. "How's Petalstar?" Rainpaw asked.

"She's fine," her mentor answered. "Flowerkit is showing a great interest in healing and plants."

"Oh, good, maybe she'll be able to help me with my chores," Rainpaw joked.

Ashpool looked thoughtful for a moment. "Actually, Rainpaw, that isn't a bad idea." The gray she-cat flicked her tail and helped Rainpaw sort the leaves and flowers. Rainpaw tilted her head at a small, purple flower. What's this again?

"Um, Ashpool, what's this?"

Ashpool glanced at the flower. "It's lavender, it helps cure fever. You should know that, Rainpaw."

Rainpaw quickly put the flower into a pile. "Right, sorry." How am I supposed to remember all of this?

As they continued to sort the herbs, Rainpaw realized there were a lot of plants she didn't know. She looked at another stalk with pink, bell-shaped flowers. Feverfew? Marigold? No, maybe...coltsfoot?

"Um, Ashpool?"

"Yes, Rainpaw?"

Oh, StarClan, she sounds annoyed.

"Um. What's this one again?"

"That's comfrey, Rainpaw," Ashpool said, exasperated. "You need to remember these."

"Comfrey. Right. That's used for...curing infections? No, it's used for bellyache. No, wait. Um."

Ashpool rolled her eyes. She picked up five stalks and placed them in front of Rainpaw. She pointed to the first, a tall-stemmed plant with yellow flowers. "What is this, and what is it used for?"

"Um. It's...goldenrod. And it's used for...infection? No, um, healing wounds, right?"

Ashpool nodded and pointed to the second. It had large leaves, and smelled very minty.

"Oh, that's easy. It's catmint, and the best remedy for greencough."

Ashpool nodded and pointed to a plant with round yellow flowers.

"Yarrow...no, tansy, used for curing coughs."

Ashpool pointed to a pile of purple berries.

"Not poppy seeds...juniper berries? Used for bellyache, right?"

The last plant Ashpool pointed to was a small pile of red berries.

"That...I've never seen those before."

"These are deathberries. They are fatally poisonous, especially to kits and elders. Don't ever eat them or feed them to someone."

Rainpaw nodded. There's a berry that could kill a cat? Wow.

Ashpool replaced the berries and flowers in their separate little holes, and his the deathberries under some small rocks. She went to her nest and curled up, ready to sleep.

Rainpaw lay down in her nest, but didn't close her eyes. Today was...interesting. She thought of all the plants she didn't know. Maybe I shouldn't be a medicine cat, Rainpaw wondered. She shook her head and flicked her tail. Rainpaw eventually closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Hey, peeps! I used "Warriors:Enter the Clans" in this chapter, so. Yah. Thanks to everyone who's reading this, I can't wait to get another chapter out!

*Dusk*