Chapter Twelve

Rainpaw padded into camp with the patrol. She was exhausted. She laid down her scrawny shrew on the fresh-kill pile.

"Rainpaw! Look out!"

Rainpaw had just barely turned around when a gray shape barreled into her. She tried to shove the shape away, but it wouldn't budge. The cat pinned her down to the ground.

"Get off, Hailpaw!"

"Guess what!"

"What?"

"I had my first assessment today!"

Rainpaw finally pushed Hailpaw away. "Good for you." Hailpaw frowned at her. He glanced at Windpaw, who had seen their tussle and was purring in amusement. Hailpaw stuck his tongue out at her and left to go talk to Windpaw.

Rainpaw flicked her tail and padded to the medicine den. When she went inside, she Ashpool sorting herbs.
But there was something strange about her...like she was waiting for something to happen, but didn't want it to. Rainpaw shook her head and left again.

When Rainpaw went outside, she noticed Stormkit and Petalkit were playing outiside. Well, Nightkit was playing. Flowerkit was inspecting leaves and flowers. Hm, I don't think I've ever heard of a kit that interested in plants.

Rainpaw trotted over. She watched Flowerkit for a bit longer. Flowerkit turned around, and squeaked when she saw Rainpaw.

"H-hello."

"Hi. I'm Rainpaw, the medicine cat apprentice."

Flowerkit's bright green eyes lit up. "Really? Is it fun? What have you learned? Can you tell me? Isn't it great? Have you learned how to cure and infection? Have you learned what nettle does? Have you had a vision from StarClan?"

Rainpaw was startled by all of the young kit's questions. She gets very excited about plants and medicine cat stuff. Maybe she would make a better one than me?

When Rainpaw didn't answer, Flowerkit looked crestfallen. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I- I didn't mean to ask so many questions, I just..." Flowerkit glanced up at Rainpaw. She looked at the ground again.

Rainpaw just purred in amusement and flicked Flowerkit with her tail. "It's okay. I guess I really want to be a medicine cat."

Flowerkit nodded eagerly. "Yeah, Stormkit always teases me because I like to look for flowers and leaves." She glanced at her brother. Flowerkit sighed. "I feel so out of place. Especially since I can only play with Stormkit, and he doesn't like my games."

Like a bolt of lightning, Rainpaw realized that Flowerkit would make a perfect medicine cat. She's probably too shy to say anything, though.

"Why don't you ask Ashpool to teach you some stuff?"

Flowerkit was stunned. "But you're already a medicine cat apprentice, and we don't need three medicine cats!" The silver tabby's ears twitched.

"Well, think about it, because I think you'd make a great medicine cat."

And maybe I'd be a better warrior...

Hey, peoples! Again, sorry it's been so long! I have a lot to do over summer break. Note- summer BREAK. Anyway. So, yeah. Rainpaw may or may not become a warrior apprentice. ;)

~Dusk~