Chapter 2:

Katherine's POV
It's been 4 months and the same old glade.
Well, not really anymore.
In the deadheads we created a map room where the runners will go after they run.
We now have over 17 gladers. The second month we were here, a bunch load of boys came up through the box at once. It was boys named Alby, Newt, Alex, Andrew, Gally, Lucas, Mason, James, Max, Nate, and Ashton. There's also a bunch more but they still haven't remembered their names yet. Then Steven came. Then Zart did. Then Clint did. Now our new greenie is Winston.
Well he will be until the new greenie comes today.
Right now there's me, Nick, Alby, Newt, Alex, Andrew, Gally, Frypan, Lucas, Mason, James, Max, Nate, Ashton, Steven, Zart, Clint, and Winston in the glade.
Zart is the track hoes keeper since he's really good at gardening.
Clint is the med-jacks keeper because he's the only one who knows how to do things like a doctor.
Winston is the keeper of the slicers because he's the only one who can hold his stomach while doing so, he even enjoys it which freaks me out.
Steven is the keeper of the baggers. Frypan is the keeper of the cooks. Max is the keeper of the sloppers, I laughed at this. And Nate is the keeper of the bricknicks.
Now we are in for a new greenie.
We realized that every month, on the exact same day each month, a new glader arrives. It's usually a boy but I've been hoping for a girl so I'm not lonely now.
Nick and Alby both insisted on Gally and Nate to gather the rest of the builders and bricknicks and start working on a house just for girls. So the girls, if there's anymore to come up besides me, have their own place to sleep with out the boys bugging us.
The alarm for the greenie rang and I ran over to the box.
I opened it with the help of Nick, Alby and Newt.
I jumped down and saw an Asian boy staring back at me.
"What? Never seen an Asian before?" He says, grinning.
I grab his hand and pull him to his feet.
"Yea, but he's to the grievers now." I said, nodding towards the sky.
Newt picked me up and out of the box while someone threw a rope down for the boy.
Newt is basically my older brother now so no one will dare go near me, because Newt is an extremely fast runner and will be able to catch them if they did anything.
"Who are you?" He asked me, brushing himself off.
"I'm Katherine. This is Newt, Nick, Alby, Gally, Frypan, Winston, Max, Nate, Mason, Ashton, Lucas, James, Steven, Zart, and Clint. What's your name?" I asked him.
"My name-oh. It's Minho." He said to me.
"Minho? How do you pronounce that?" Newt asked him.
"Uh, just imagine it like mean ho. But those two together." He says.
"Ohh, okay. Katherine he's all yours." Newt says, patting my shoulder.
"Alright! Everyone back to your jobs!" Nick shouts.
Everyone groans and goes back to their jobs.
"Jobs?" Minho asked as we walked away.
"There's the bricknicks, the sloppers, the baggers, the med-Jacks, the builders, the track hoes, the cooks, the slicers, the mapmakers, and the runners. I'm a runner, but we haven't gone out yet. We are just practicing." I said to him.
"How can I become a job?" He asked me.
"That depends on what job you want to be." I said, heading towards the tower, I climbed up then Minho followed me to the top of the towers.
A lot has changed in the past 4 months.
The builders and bricknicks started making a building in the deadheads for the girls, me and any other girl that shows up.
We built a tower on a tree that can overlook the whole entire glade.
We also built a runners room. For runners to come back and map what they've found in their days work out in the maze.
Then we built a slammer where we put someone who doesn't follow the rules.
In a week we will be going out into the maze.
We know it's a maze and it changes every night.
The doors shut, keeping us from being attacked by the grievers.
I explained to him everything.
Our rules.
"It's really simple. We have three rules.
1. everybody does their part, no slackers. We don't want people thinking that they can just stop working.
2. never hurt another glader, you have to trust each other enough just in case your life is in their hands.
And
3. never go out into the maze, unless you're a runner." I explained to him the three simple rules of the glade.
"Can I be a runner?" He asked me.
"And why would you want to be a runner?" I asked him.
"Because I just have a feeling that I should be a runner." He said to me.
"Okay, well let's see if you can be a runner then." I said to him, smirking.
What he doesn't know, is that I'm the keeper of the runners.
And I'm the fastest in the glade.
We got down to the ground and I saw Alby walking towards the wall, motioning for me to bring Minho to him.
"Okay, let's race to Alby." I said to him.
"Ready?" He asked me, smirking.
I glanced at him and started sprinting across the glade.
I was ahead of him for a long time.
That's when he started catching up to me.
But I still won.
"I let you win." He chuckled, his face tinted red. Maybe it was from the running? No, he was embarrassed that he lost to a girl.
"Just face it dude, no one is as fast as Katherine." Alby said.
"Now, here." Alby said, handing him the knife.
"Why do I need a knife?" He gulped before asking this.
I chuckled.
"To carve your name into the wall." I chuckled while saying it.
"Oh." He mumbled.
I let out a loud laugh as he blushed even redder.
He found an open spot on the wall.
One right next to Newt's name and right above my name.
I smirked and watched as he carved his name into the wall.
"Okay, now we need to get the bonfire ready. Katherine, get this shank ready for the bonfire." Alby said to me.
I nodded, turning to Minho," c'mon you shuck face. Let's go get you ready for the bonfire."
He looked up at me, with a slight smirk on his face.
"Shuck face?" He questioned as we walked away.
"Yes you slinthead now let's go." I said walking towards the kitchens.
"Where are we going?" He asked me.
"We are going to help frypan with the food." I said to him.
I saw him perk up.
"Can I have some food? I'm starving." He said to me as we walked into kitchens.
"It's not up to me. It's up to frypan. I may be the leader around here but I'm not the keeper of the cooks." I said to him.
"And who's that?" Minho asked.
"Me." Frypan said, walking into the room with a large butcher knife covered in blood in his hands.
Word count {1,226 words}