Chapter Nineteen: Goodnight Kiss

As his soft lips pressed sweetly yet roughly against her own, the surge of adrenaline and emotions overwhelmed Regina's senses. The feeling was indescribable. Until the whirl of love left the young soon-to-be Queen with just fear. Fear that had been instilled in her for a while: fear of being vulnerable. Regina pressed her palms against his chest, reluctantly pushing him away. Robin gently pulled back, keeping his head down as his fingers curled around her small wrists.

"I..." Regina spoke, closing her eyes as her body quivered; not from the cold but from the worries that consumed her. Robin looked up, seeing the panic and hurt in her eyes. His stomach dropped. He thought he had read her correctly. That he had seen that she wanted this too.

Robin let go, stepping away. "I'm so sorry." He muttered. "I didn't mean for you to... I thought you wanted..." He stumbled over the right words to express what he was trying to say. Robin wanted to comfort her, to make her feel better. But knew that he'd crossed the line. And with such a delicate being like Regina, there was no going back.

"No." She shook her head, covering her face with frail hands. "No I just..." The wind blew, taking her words as a gasp filled her lungs. Regina lunged forward but stopped herself before she got to Robin. "Goodnight." She said briskly, dodging his open hand as Regina rushed into the closest tent, leaving both parties alone and separated.

***

Her back ached from sitting up straight for hours on end. The corset that held her chest in place made it terribly hard to breathe as she spoke to the men in front of her. Leo sat beside her with a nasty grin on his face. Regina's stomach churned at the thought of what her husband was thinking. About what he would do once their visitors were gone.

Feeling frightened, Regina stood from her throne and rushed from the palace, immediately being chased by dozens of guards. They shouted to one another, closing in on their subject, arrows flew from the trees in the garden. Regina dogged them as they speared the men chasing her.

Regina turned down the path that led to the apple orchard, laying eyes on Robin and a larger force of his men. She pushed harder, running towards them until she was finally in Robin's arms.

"You're safe now." He whisper, kissing her temple softly. "You're always safe with me."

Regina shot up out of her cot, heart racing as her dream slowly started to dissipate from her mind. It was still dark out, though Regina could tell it was morning, and all of the cots around her were still full. The small tent was crowded with exhausted men as they snored and stretched.

Needing fresh air, Regina slowly slipped from the safety of her covers and reached for the tent flap. Cool, brisk air mixed with the stuffy atmosphere of the insides of the small tent as Regina slipped on her boots and made her way to the log she had sat on last night.

The log she had stood beside when Robin kissed her.

Regina shivered in the morning breeze as she stared at the piece of wood. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, she thought. It had been nice being held by his strong arms against his warm chest in the cold last night. Her knees had weakened as Robin moved closer, keeping the kiss delicate. Her heart had practically kept into her throat by the time she had known what was going on.

But then the feeling came again as Regina's thoughts slipped to last night. The feeling of losing self control. Of being afraid.

Her back straightened as she shook her head, clearing the thoughts that still lingered.

"Do you mind if I join you?" His voice was low as he spoke, leaves crunching under his feet. Regina turned to see his bright eyes watching her, a glimmer of regret blocking the usually joyful look Robin had.

"I..." Regina sputtered, glancing down at her feet. "I can't say no, can I?"

Robin chuckled, stopping a few feet out of arms length away from her. "You could if you wanted." Robin advised. "I just thought we needed to talk. I was up all morning and decided it was time to get up." He sighed, rolling his shoulders as he spoke. "I guess you thought the same."

"We don't need to talk." Regina said firmly. A flicker of surprise washed over Robin's face as Regina continued. "Not about last night. There's nothing to speak of." Regina turned her back on Robin before sitting down on the log. "Now, if there's another subject you'd like to speak about, I'd be more than willing to consider." Glancing over her shoulder, Regina saw the smirk Robin flashed before composing himself.

Branches and leaves crumpled under his footsteps as Robin neared. "Why don't we talk about you?" He suggested as he sat a respectable distance from her.

Regina shook her head, glancing up to lock eyes with the thief sitting before her. "There's nothing to tell." She lied through her teeth and Regina knew Robin didn't believe one word.

Taking a moment to consider, Robin slowly leaned forwards, keeping his eyes locked on her. Regina's heart leapt as fear swelled in her throat. But Regina swallowed it as she closed her eyes and prepared for what would come next. She was ready to feel his arms around her again. She was-

"You alright?" Regina opened her eyes, looking down at the flask Robin held in his hand. "This might help ease your nerves if you're wanting to talk." He suggested before taking a swig.

Offended, Regina's back stiffened as she spoke. "You should know, Robin, that I do not day drink. It isn't healthy and nor is it right." But her words only speared Robin to go on.

"Ah, I'm sorry mi'lady." He nodded, setting it back down on the ground. Robin looked back up, taking a moment to watch Regina. Behind her the sun rose, the brilliant colors bringing out her features. Her dark curly hair framed her pale face, whispy and knotted. She looked less... Proper. More of what Robin assumed was the real Regina. He'd seen glimpses of her before the Royal walls snapped up. He'd seen plain Regina with Roland and had experienced her a few times himself. "I assume you'd like some silence then, if you don't want to speak."

Regina nodded briskly before turning her back on him. Robin could almost visibly see her walls snap back up. "Please." She whispered, looking up to the sky. "I'd like to watch the sun rise. It's a beautiful view."

Smiling softly, Robin leaned back a bit. "It's nothing like I've ever seen before. Spectacular." He whispered, watching Regina stare at the sky. "Absolutely breathtaking."

Hey guys! Sooooo... ITS ALMOST THE END OF BOOK 1!!!! Just a few more chapters before a quick hiatus and then we have book number 2!!! Yay!! I hope you guys are enjoying this book as much as I am! Thank you all for reading it! And thank you to gladlywriting for helping me get this chapter going!